Wednesday, December 2, 2009

and the verdict is ...

So I went back to the doctor for my foot/ankle yesterday and didn't quite get the news I was hoping for. I have some crazy thing. Severe stenosing tenosynovitis (yes, the report actually said SEVERE). It's the progressive restriction of the sheath surrounding a tendon, causing inflammation. And there was indication of something else, not really sure what she called it, but it's not good. Basically, my doc said that my tendon is being choked. She thinks it might be caused by one of several extra bones I have in my foot.

So, she gave me a shot of cortisone and told me to come back in three weeks. If that doesn't work, then surgery is pretty much my only option. Arrr! Hello? Didn't my foot get the memo that we are racing in Bermuda in January?

But now I have a dilemma. I don't want surgery, but if it is inevitable, I would rather have it now and get it over with. I don't want to wait the three weeks, just to have to take off longer. I am waiting for the doc to call me back so that I can see what she thinks. Maybe she'll tell me I am crazy and the cortisone is going to eliminate the inflammation and I'll be fine. Right?

So, what would you do?

4 comments:

Katie A. said...

Hmmm, that is hard one. Did she say how long the recovery is? And you can't run at all right now, right? Man this is tuff, especially with xmas here...you might not want to be limping around with crutches when Santa comes. Although, racing in Bermuda sounds just as important. I think you need more details on the surgery and the healing time. Good luck! :)

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Wow that is tough.. How often would you need to get the shot without surgery? If it is a short term fit that will need to be repeated I am guessing that Surgery will be your best option. But if it may solve the problem without surgery I would wait..

Ask the right questions and HOPEFULLY the answer will come to you.

I did notice the sleeves but did not notice it was Moeben, good catch..

Steel Springs said...

Sorry about the bad news. It sounds like a really tough decision. I hope your doctor gets back to you soon and helps you figure out what's right for you.

Kerrie T. said...

Hmmm. This doesn't sound good. I say if surgery is the only option, then go with it. Should you get a second opinion or anything?

PS: Thanks for sharing your goals. I hope this doesn't hamper them. :(