Sunday, January 24, 2010

determination ...

"I ran and ran and ran every day, and I acquired this sense of determination, this sense of spirit that I would never give up, no matter what else happened," - Wilma Rudolph

After writing about pushing my ginormous triple stroller on my runs, I got a comment that read, "The things you do to get your runs in are amazing." It really got me thinking. I think the things I do to get my runs in are just the things that NEED to be done to get my runs in. Nothing amazing (although, I do LOVE complements). For me, they have become commonplace. Running is not a choice. It is a crucial part of my life. 5 runs a week, sometimes more, NEVER EVER less. Missing a run is not an option.

Now, I know that skipping a workout or cutting a run short isn't the end of the world. It's not going to make a lick of difference on race day, just like finishing every last mile on my training plan isn't going to get me a BQ. But I have made a commitment to myself. A commitment to be the best me every single day. On every single run. So, if that means pushing a 140+ pound stroller, exchanging sleeping in for early morning long runs or logging 22 miles on the treadmill, well then that's what has to get done.

It's just about determination. The determination to always strive to be better than you were yesterday. The determination to show your children that you can get pure joy out of something, even if you NEVER walk away as the champion. The determination to prove everyone who has ever doubted you wrong, even if that means proving yourself wrong as well. And although, it may not be the reason I started running, it is without a doubt this determination that keeps me running.

I may never run a five minute mile. Or log 70 miles a week. I'm not going to win a race or even beat all of my friends. But none of that matters. Running is my passion. A passion I want to share with others. It is more than just a hobby. It is a force that has forever changed my life. Running has allowed me to be the best mom and wife and me that I can possibly be. It's not a chore. Or a job (because I am WAY TOO SLOW for that). Or even a requirement. It is just the simple act of placing one foot in front of the other. A simple act that helps define me ...

12 comments:

Anne said...

Seems appropriate I should be the first to comment on this post.
Your determination is amazing! :)

I 100% agree with this post...you do what you must to be the person you want to be in this life...that's how it works. However, I repeat, "The things you do to get your runs in are amazing" :) ...because the person you chose to be is pretty darn amazing! Keep the inspiration coming...cheers!

Kerrie said...

Love this! I whine about getting in my runs with ONE kid -- you have three! Just amazing and inspiring.

Alicia said...

I have to admit when I read about you pushing the 3 kiddos in a stroller I thought, "Wow! I think I would've just skipped that run!" I am beyond impressed!

I love your passion for running. It is inspirational!

Teamarcia said...

Beautifully written and so inspiring. Where there's a will there's a way!

Marlene said...

Great post! Thanks for sharing a little about YOUR determination and passion.

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Amen sister!! The love is what it is ALL about.. Hugs and happy Monday..

Allie said...

Well said, I'm not as determined as you but I agree with everything you said here. I love the running community, I love the support for each other even though we aren't all "fast." I love being healthy and happy and running is what helps me get that. You rock!

Libby said...

I love this post! Its something I definitely need to remember thanks for the inspiration :)

Kasey said...

Loved this! I have 2 little ones and it is crazy sometimes the things we have to do to get a run in. I hate pushing the stroller, but I've done it. I usually wake up at the butt crack of dawn to get mine in. 5 am comes really early 4 days a week for me (seems earlier some days than others- but we do what we have to do!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

"It is just the simple act of placing one foot in front of the other. A simple act that helps define me ..."

Gee I couldn't have said it better myself! Great post!

Mile Posts by Dorothy Beal said...

I felt as if you were in my head when I was reading this :)

Unknown said...

OMG! I love this ... and can't tell you how much I needed to read it right now.

Awesome.

Winks & Smiles,
Wifey