Wednesday, June 30, 2010

runner vs. thrower ...

In case you missed it, I wasn't always a runner. In fact, I was the opposite of a runner. I was a thrower (yes, I was beefcake like a thrower too). J was also a thrower. And we have always said that our children would be throwers. Anyway, both J and I competed at Division I colleges (me - shot put and discus, J - hammer). It's how we met. And I am super thankful for that.

I loved being a thrower. But I love being a runner more. And that is why now I REALLY want my children to be multis (track talk for those who do it all, run/throw/jump), instead of strictly throwers. A good multi is hard to come by. Which means that if you are decent, you can usually get some sort of scholarship.

But that is not the point of this post. Instead, the point is to highlight how my children are already weighing in on the runner vs. thrower debate. Yesterday, while driving home from G's, the girls got in a little fight that went something like this ...

Me: "Are you guys going to race with me?"
Dizzle: "No! Doodle is going to be a thrower when she grows up. Daddy said so."
Doodle: "NO! I'm going to be a runner. Not a thrower!"
Dizzle: "Nope! Daddy said you are going to be a thrower!"
Doodle (now crying and screaming): "I AM GOING TO BE A THROWER AND A RUNNER."
Dizzle (in a snarky tone): "Hmph. Well, I am going to be ONLY a runner."

Really, girls? Since when is being ONLY a runner, the superior way to be? And while we're at it, what kind of 3 and 5 year olds fight about this stuff? Oh, wait. I know. The kind who have parents who peg you as an athlete before you are even born ...

18 comments:

Emily said...

this is hilarious! my cousin who was a crazy good swimmer always told me he was on the look out for a girl with big feet and broad shoulders so if they had kids they would be stellar in the pool.

Erica said...

well... I guess it is better than fighting about which princess they are going to be...my girls need a few lessons from yours :)

Teamarcia said...

Mine are going to be rock stars. I'm waiting to board that gravy train.

Marlene said...

I love that your kids are already talking about following in yours and J's athletic footsteps!

Anonymous said...

Very cute! It will be so interesting to see what sport gets them!

Non Sequitur Chica said...

Ahhhh I like this blog even more now that I know that you and your husband were throwers (I was a D1 thrower too- my best event was the weight but I threw everything!). I also sprinted in high school but was not fast enough to do so in college.

funderson said...

NO flipping way! I was a thrower too! I hated running...

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

LOVE it!! I was 2nd in Shot Put my senior Year at State and 8th in discus... I only ran relays, but had I known I could rock long distances I would totally have RUN.

Hugs!!

J said...

Hi, I have been reading your blog for a little while but never commented. I was a thrower in high school and that is what got me into Multis. I threw in college and also did multis and it was great. I loved doing both! Its so nice that your daughters want to run and throw too!

Unknown said...

How cool is that! I have no idea what my boys will do. Hubby is a MMA fighter/trainer and a nooby runner and me being a runner it could be many things. We do all kinds of art too so many options for them here.

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahaha!!!!

....snarky!

Katie A. said...

I like Marcia's idea :)
And I learned today what a thrower is - funny how your 3 & 5 year olds new before me! LOL!
And I'm having kids just so I can have little runners - Mamma needs a running partner! I'm not even prego and I know what I want them to be! Hahahahaha!
Your girls rock!

Emz said...

love this.

I guess, it's better than them hitting you with, "can I be a cheerlearder mom?". ;)

Char said...

Me too - I was a thrower (discus) I thought long distance running was anything over 100m.

Anonymous said...

my husband and I met playing volleyball in a tournament so we always said our children MUST play vball!

Cookie said...

Go Multis! I 100% support the runner/thrower/jumper thing.

MCM Mama said...

So much better than what I heard in the back of the car today...

J: You're a big fat meanie!
S: I'm not fat...

Not a word of denial about being a meanie LOL.

Unknown said...

I think they should become swimmers. That way they can put together powerful arms with great cardio!