Thursday, February 7, 2013

Reverse Bucket List - Year 31 ...

Today is my 31st birthday.

For months, I have been thinking about what I would want to say to myself on this day. More so than January 1st, my birthday seems to mark a fresh start for me. It gives me a chance to look back at where I've been and to dream about where I am going.

At first, I thought I might write myself a letter much like I do for my daughters each year. But, then I thought about it and realized that all the things I say to them are the exact same things I would say to myself.

Be strong.
Fight for what you want.
Know you're worth it.
Show your love to those who love you back. And even to those who don't.
Be the best you EVERY.SINGLE.DAY.

Then, I stumbled upon this post at Banana Buzzbomb - A reverse bucket list. Rather than obsess over the things you want, this list takes stock in what you already have. It's something that I think I forget about too often, as I continuously strive to be a better me (or at least not lose ground to my current self).

So, today on my 31st birthday (and hopefully a lot more often than that), I am celebrating how far I've come, instead of worrying about how far I have to go. Here's my reverse bucket list:

1. I always made academics important, even if I didn't think attending school was. I absorbed as much as I could and held myself to a high standard. Ultimately, it paid off. I went to an Ivy League university.

2. I graduated from that Ivy League university in three years. Just because I could.

3. I've always been athletic. I played travel soccer from the time I was 10. I made the varsity soccer, basketball and track teams as a freshman. In college, I was on a Division I Track and Field team.

4. I broke my pelvis and dislocated my hip when I was 12. The doctors told me that I probably wouldn't play sports again. I was back on the soccer field six months later.

5. I overcame my hate of running and have run six marathons. Two in the same week.

6. I (mostly) overcame my fear of my bike after crashing it and destroying my shoulder. Now I am going to race a 140.6.

7. I married my first serious boyfriend. I knew he was the one for me immediately and I would have married him just as quickly if I wasn't deathly afraid of what my mother would have done. We waited two years and have now been married for almost nine.

8. I gave birth to three beautiful daughter who are truly my everything.

9. I ran eight miles two days before my third daughter was born. Nothing else has ever made me feel so bada**.

10. I changed my life and lost 70 pounds. I've kept the vast majority (aside from pregnancies) off for nine years.

11. I'm still friends with my childhood best friend. We've known each other for 28 years.

12. I never left the country before I was 20. Since then, I have been to England, Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas and Bermuda.

13. I am a two-time NJ state champion in the shot put. I still have the discus records at both my middle school and my high school.

14. I used to take karate. I've broken a board with my hand, my foot and my head.

15. I have been featured in Runner's World (August 2011). I was mentioned as a Twitter account to follow in the December 2012 issue, as well.

16. I was personally asked by Ethan Zohn (of Survivor fame) to run for his NYC Marathon team.

17. I was selected by Nuun to represent them at the Hood to Coast Relay. Twice.

18. I shaved my head. Kind of a ballsy thing for a girl to do.

19. J and I have purchased three houses in our nine years of marriage. Our current one is finally starting to feel like home, but I'm not entirely convinced.

20. I have no credit card debt.

21. I've never put my Ivy League degree to good use and the older I get the more OK I am with it. Staying at home with my girls has been one of the best decisions I ever made. Maybe one day I'll have a job with an income that can support us, but this thankless, wage-less job of shaping these children is the best one I will ever have.

22. I've gotten three tattoos. And I don't regret any of them.

23. I have been honored with the opportunity to be a member of Team Rev3 Tri. And let me just add that sponsorship doesn't suck.

24. I survived the death of a parent.

25. I went from being unable to lift my arm (at all) to finishing my first 70.3 in exactly 11 months.

28 comments:

Run with Jess said...

Happy Birthday girl! What a life you have!

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is a great way to take stock of what you have accomplished and realize just how great life is! Congrats and Happy Birthday. Rock on!

Johann said...

Really excellent post! Happy Birthday!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, T!

Michelle said...

You forgot to mention that you have managed to morph into part Honeybadger!
Happy Birthday to one Bad Ass Chick!

Kasey said...

Happy birthday! Wow, what an amazing list! Way to go!

abbi said...

Happy Birthday and love this list and idea!

fancy nancy said...

Happy Birthday!!! I love this idea!! You have so much to be proud of!!

ajh said...

Happy Birthday! You have a lot of great things on here. What a good idea to do a reverse bucket list.

carrie said...

Awesome. Happy Birthday!!!!!

Becka said...

Cool list! Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

First of all, happy birthday!! What a great idea this reversed bucket lost is. You are a rock star!!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

What a great way to mark your 31 years. But I'd say number one on your list should be you share your positive attitude with everyone and have inspired and motivated many.

Thanks. Happy birthday.

Jen Feeny said...

Awesome post and happy birthday!!!

Kortni said...

That is a pretty awesome list of accomplishments in not too much time. Congrats and Happy Birthday to the best running coach ever!

Heather-O said...

Happy Birthday! Quite an impressive list, badass for sure!

Maggie said...

What a great list of accomplishments - love the bucket list idea! Happy birthday - hope it was amazing!

Amanda@runninghood said...

Love this. So much for you to be proud of. You've done a lot in your 31 years Tonia! My favorite:
"I've never put my Ivy League degree to good use and the older I get the more OK I am with it. Staying at home with my girls has been one of the best decisions I ever made. Maybe one day I'll have a job with an income that can support us, but this thankless, wage-less job of shaping these children is the best one I will ever have."
Happy 31st Girl!

Cookie said...

Happy Birthday Tonia. I know it's been a while, but I follow your blog and am happy to see you and your family doing so well. Hope you enjoy the day and looking forward to seeing all the things you accomplish in this next year. XOXO.

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

You're pretty freakin' amazing.

Joel said...

what an awesome post! Congratulations for having accomplished so much in so few years (so said an old guy) :-)

Heidi @BananaBuzzbomb said...

First, happy flippin' birthday!!! So glad you joined in. I must say, I think you're badass for shaving your head. I've wanted to do it for years but haven't due to work situations. Rock on, sista!

Unknown said...

Hope you had an amazing birthday - this is quite the list. You should be proud of yourself for the things you've accomplished!

christa said...

Great post, I'm going to do it next month when I turn 37, YIKES!!

Kurt @ Becoming An Ironman said...

I love the idea of this post!!

Keep being awesome!!

Tara Martine said...

Wow, you are one impressive lady! Congrats on all your accomplishments and cheers to many more to come :)

Elizabeth said...

love this! hope it was a fabulous birthday. i had no idea you went to an ivy league school, graduated in 3 years, and don't think i knew about track and field. and the shot put??? where have i been? :):)

Unknown said...

Such a fabulous post!! So many things I didn't know about you (of course, we just met...) and all so very impressive!! Way to go girl!! and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!