Thursday, May 2, 2013

Three Things Thursday ...

Creepy - J and Doodle are currently on vacation at Sea World celebrating her sixth birthday. It's a tradition we have that when you turn six, you get to go away for the weekend with Dad to any place you would like. Dizzle went to Disney. Doodle picked Sea World. I mean, if it were me, I'd pick something like Rome. Or Paris. Or London. But, apparently my children don't really grasp the whole "anywhere you want part" and they choose places they would have probably gone to anyway.

Back to my point, since they've been gone, J has been sending me random photos of their adventures. About an hour ago, he sent me this one. It's pretty much straight out of a horror film.


Creepy, right? Oddly enough, I think it's equally creepy and beautiful. Like I am scared she might kill me in my sleep, yet I can't look away ...

Health Drama - For about 19 months, I have had a whole slew of symptoms that have kept me from functioning at 100%. Basically, I look like I have a classic case of hypothyroidism, yet all of my blood work has been and continues to be within the normal ranges. When I stopped eating gluten, the intensity of several of these symptoms died down, but they never fully went away.

Recently, my symptoms have been getting worse and in the last eight weeks I have gained 10 pounds. I don't care who you are, gaining 10 pounds in eight weeks isn't normal or OK. Especially, when you eat pretty well, track and measure all of your food and train 10+ hours a week. Because of this, I went back to the doctor to try to get some answers and was yet again hit with a brick wall.

My doctor agrees that something is going on. She swore up and down that it had to be my thyroid. But after another round of blood work, I'm still in the same place. I am as healthy as healthy can be and all of my hormone levels are within normal ranges.

Someone shoot me now.

Now I'm being sent to an endocrinologist to see if she can shed any light on my situation. I'm frustrated and I'm over it and if I can't get some answers and figure out what's going on, I might go insane (and be 20 pounds heaver for my 140.6 debut).

I can't possibly be the only person who has faced a situation like this. Anyone have any insight?

Summer Break - I know this is going to sound insane, but I am literally counting down the days until Summer break. I over the shuttling back and forth. I'm over the homework. I'm over making lunches. I'm over my children coming home with more doodles than graded papers. I'm over it. Done.

Or maybe I just want to be able to sleep in ...

9 comments:

Sally said...

ha....like you'd ever sleep in..

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

Have you ever been to an allergist to check for a broad spectrum of food allergies? Or had other blood work checked that might indicate inflammation, like c-reactive protein? If removing the gluten allergen helped, maybe the rest of the symptoms are from another allergy? Shellfish? Dairy? Just tossing out ideas here...

Tami said...

are they checking all your TSH levels

my lab slip says hypothyroid profile t4, t3U tsh

and i thought there was another one they checked.

i live in NH and my labs get sent to another lab in California i have been told because they are the most careful of checking all teh different levels.

do you have other signs that lead to your thyroid being an issue.

it took awhile to get my medication right and it was steady for awhile but my last labs were all screwed up again (which i knew was going to happen because i gained 5 pounds in about 6 days)

Unknown said...

That picture is kind of awesome... although your girls are awesome (and you and J are awesome for doing this for them when they turn 6!)

I wish I had some insight - based on what you said, I would have thought Thyroid too. I hope the endo can shed some light on things!

Sending you a hug!

gba_gf said...

The freaking 'making the lunches', that's what's doing me in... kinda funny, because I just posted a line in my blog last night about the F*(&^@g 7th Grade MATH HOMEWORK. gah. #countingdown

Seriously? The blood came back normal? I'm stunned.

fancy nancy said...

Yeah as a teacher...I'm done too!!! I'm so sorry that you are hitting so many walls health wise. I'm sure it must be very frustrating! Praying an answer comes soon!

Tortuga_Runner said...

I love your family tradition for the 6th birthday, very cool. I am unfortunately mostly in the same boat. Unexplained weight gain, fit, active, track every calorie etc.

Initially I did the lose it app, drop to 1200 calorie thing, then did the vegetarian thing, went to the endocrinologist, then RD then the hydrostatic body fat testing. I remember your post on how many calories you needed to live and was shocked! I am not as fit as you are, but still need 1954 calories just to function and that is without daily exercise or activity factors built in.

Basically I have jumped from 18% body fat to like 24%. It is going on about 1.5 years of trying to figure it out. My new dr. is doing all the tests too, T3 free, T4 TSH, cortisol, insulin something or rather etc. I just had the most recent battery of tests Monday, 9 vials of blood work, so I'll let you know if they discover anything cool. One factor might be the other hormones. Try an OB/GYN?

Cheers to figuring out your weight issue, sorry it has been such a struggle.

Sophie

Anonymous said...

Maybe hormones? Hopefully the endo will work out.

- my sister had thyroid cancer (age 25) and the entire time her levels were normal.
They finally biopsy a lump which they kept insisting was 'no big deal' since her levels were normal.

It had spread to her lymph nodes and had to have most of them removed as well.

The Many Adventures of the Kaprove's said...

What about PCOS??? Its something that can cause you to gain weight no matter what you do.. Also I agree with the checking all three of the thyroid levels. My endocrinologist says that a lot of drs don't check all three and that the one can be normal but the other two can be off.