Saturday, May 2, 2009

I fink you're kidding ...

Have you ever tortured your children just for the sake of getting a good laugh?

Well, I have. In fact, I just did.

Doodle was climbing on the back of the couch and I told her to stop. She didn't. So I asked her if she wanted to go to bed then. To which she started crying. But it wasn't Doodle I tortured. It was Dizzle.

You see, Dizzle likes to take Doodle's misfortunes (like being sent to bed early) and shove them in her face. And when that happens, I tend to turn it on Dizzle. This time I told her that Doodle was not going to bed, she was.

I knew this would drive her crazy, even though I wasn't being serious. Our conversation went a little something like this.

Me: No, Dizzle. YOUR going to bed.

Dizzle: (screaming) I don't want to go to bed.

Me: Oh, well.

Dizzle: (really screaming running over to me with fists up): I don't want to.

Me: Well, if you hit me then you're definitely going to bed.

Dizzle: OK, I won't hit you, so I don't have to go to bed, right?

Me: You're going to bed.

Dizzle: (bright red with fists again) I fink you're kidding. I fink your kidding.

And I was. But her face and body language and her actual words did nothing but make me laugh. So I did. Until I was crying. And then I just kept telling her she was going to bed. And she is. Eventually.

Have your kids made you laugh today?

No comments: