Monday, July 1, 2013

June Rewind ...

Miles Run: 45.22. Pretty much the same as last month, but I am feeling much stronger than before.

Bike Miles Rode: 158.3 miles.
 
Swim Meters Completed: 22750 meters or 14.1 miles. I'm kind of in love with the swim right now.
 
Rest Days Taken: 9.
 
Highest Run Mileage Week: 6/24-6/30: 16.32 miles
 
Highest Bike Mileage Week: 6/17-6/23: 43.4 miles 
 
Highest Swim Volume Week: 6/10-6/16: 6200 meters or 3.85 miles
 
Long Runs Completed (1 hr+ miles): 3.
 
Current Book: Right now, I am reading The Maze Runner by Dashner. But I also finished a few other books in May. (Note: For those of you who have asked, if it's on this or any of my lists, I would recommend the book. If I don't like the story or the book doesn't grasp my attention, I don't bother finishing it, thus it wouldn't be listed here.) 
  • Big Fat Manifesto by Vaught
  • Everlost by Shusterman
  • Hawaii by Fodor
  • Passion by Kate
  • Shatter Me by Mafi
  • Unravel Me by Mafi
  • Warm Bodies by Marion
  • Uglies by Westerfeld
  • Pretties by Westerfeld
  • Specials by Westerfeld
  • Everwild by Shusterman
Current Shame-Inducing Guilty Pleasure: Apparently, reading. J says I'm obsessed.
 
Current Colors: Navy and White.
   
Current Drink: Coconut water. It's totally gross but I am trying to replenish my electrolytes.
 
Current Song: Radioactive - Imagine Dragons
 
Current Triumph: Despite a rough couple of months of training, I finished Rev3 Williamsburg Olympic. With a pretty solid swim and bike, might I add.
 
Current Goal: Be a better me. Each and every day. And tackle my 2013 To Do List head on.
 
Current Blessing: Health, happiness and love. I've got all three.
 
Current Excitement: I am feeling normal again. After the past year and a half of feeling crappy all the time, this is huge.
 
2013 To Do List:
 
Fitness:
  • 140.6. That is all. - Yeah, not going to happen this year.
  • Make time for strength training. Don't let training loads eliminate strength workouts completely. And stick to strength training in a group, it keeps you accountable. - Getting back to this.
  • Switch to time-based/HR training. Despite my knowledge of training paces, I have a hard time sticking to them. I'm hoping this will help me train more effectively. - I'm kind of over the HR aspect of this. Summer temps alone make this suck. 
  • Log 4,500 cumulative run, bike and swim miles. Up 485 from 2012. - As of July 1, 1568.49 miles logged. Not looking good at the mid-year point.
  • Race a 10K with a finish time much faster than your very dated current PR of 53:17. I never managed to register for a 10K in 2012 and I'm not sure where it will fit in this year, but it's on my radar. - No progress on this one.
  • Set a new PR in the Half Marathon, currently 1:57:06. I totally blew this one in 2012 and will likely only have one good shot at it in 2013.- Fail. Epic fail.
  • Run a 5K with Dizzle and Doodle, even if that means tricking them into it. - The kids have been running quite a bit recently. Probably going to aim for the fall.
Nutrition:
  • Eat like a gluten-free athlete. After struggling with health issues much of 2012, removing the gluten has been key in alleviating the symptoms. Don't be swayed by the lure of wheat. Or cake.- On point, like usual.
  • Find the race day (and training) nutrition plan that works for me.- Eventually ...
  • Consume no more than 18 desserts from Shyndigz. This number worked well in 2012 and helped me cut back on my serious cake addiction. Plus, their gluten-free menu is limited, so I shouldn't be tempted as often. - As of July 1st, 11 desserts consumed. Since all the birthdays have been celebrated in my house, this should slow a bit.
  • Drink at least 100oz of water per day.- Oh, heck yeah!
Personal:
  • Only say yes to the projects you REALLY want to work on. An honest no is much better than a halfhearted yes. - Check.
  • Stick to our budget. We've lived credit card (and credit card debt) free for five months. No reason to go back now. - Double Check.
  • Ignore your impulses. Take time to process the true value of the things you are filling your space/life with. - Yes and no. Lots of pondering this one recently ...
  • Figure out what to do with my hair. Keep the mohawk or grow it out. I'm taking opinions on this one.- I caved and cut my hair. I have no willpower when it comes to growing it out, BUT I am attempting it again.
  • Continue to balance family life, training and now, work.- Check.
  • Prioritize and be a good example for the people in your life. - Like quadruple check!
  • Help and support J and the kids in reaching their goals. We are a team and that must always be the primary focus of our lives. No one should have to sacrifice so that someone else can reach their goal. If a balance can't be found, it's not worth pursuing.- I would never waiver on this one!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm jealous of your swim mileage and love right now. Thats the hardest in tri training right now for me, I don't LOVE swimming so it makes it harder to do the workouts.

It's only halfway through the year, a lot can happen in 6 months, you are doing awesome!

Rachel said...

You are such an inspiration as always!! Keep on rocking it, sister!!

Unknown said...

I hear ya on the heart rate training! I am frustrated and wonder if it is even working or how long before it starts to work. Glad to hear you are feeling better!!

Erica said...

Glad your feeling better!

jennifereastman1973 said...

I just started reading a book called "The Plan" by Lyn-Genet Recitas that you should totally check out. She talks about figuring out what foods work for your body. I just started reading it but can't wait to try and use her plan. So much of this sounds like your struggles.

Michele said...

You are kicking butt and taking names! I, too, want to do a 140.6, but I have a LONG way to go. I already feel bad about the time I spend training....I can't imagine how I'll get in everything I need for a Full. You are on your way though! Awesome!