Monday, December 8, 2008

start of the season ...

When I was growing up, the holiday season started (at the latest) on Thanksgiving. My mom ALWAYS had the tree up that day and on several occasions I remember it staying up until mid-January, if not February. In addition to the tree, we had Christmas lights everywhere and probably 20 light up and mechanical figures spread throughout the living room. Plus, Christmas movies (and music) hit on Black Friday and NEVER ENDED. You could pretty much say that it was Christmas overload at our house.

And while I may have enjoyed it as a young child, as I got older, my feelings about it changed. I became a holiday minimalist, you might say. A tree in the living room and a strand or two of white (yes, they must be white) lights around the doorway is the extent of my Christmas decorating. Sure, I think light displays are nice to look at, but I don't want to deal with actually put one up.

Oh, and the music. Can we just take one second to talk about how annoying it all is? Don't get me wrong, Christmas music is fine. On Christmas, Christmas Eve and maybe a day or two before that. But does it really need to be played from mid-November to New Year's? (I could, however, handle Trans-Siberian Orchestra, but then again, that's not really traditional Christmas music).

My point is that for me, the whole "Christmas season", should be about two weeks long. At most. (I know you're thinking, "Scrooge.")

But, now that the girls are old enough to get the whole Christmas thing, I think I may have to change my tune (even if it's not willingly). You see, this past weekend we started getting into the holiday spirit (a week earlier than I had hoped, but I didn't want to feel rushed before family started visiting). Anyway, the looks on Dizzle and Doodle's faces when they saw our Christmas tree (even undecorated) was enough to make your heart melt. They are beyond excited. Dizzle is constantly asking when we get to go to Christmas (I'm not sure if she realizes it's a holiday and not a place) and Doodle screams with joy every time she sees Christmas lights.

So, instead of fighting it, I've given in. J bought a CD of Christmas songs and as a family we danced and laughed and decorated the tree. The girls loved it. And so did I. Then the following day, we headed to Williamsburg for the Grand Illumination. And despite being so cold that we ended up watching the fireworks from the car, we had a blast.

And with that I concede, because as much as I may try to fight it, it's glaringly clear that the holiday season has begun in our home.

1 comment:

gba_gf said...

I'll make a back up of my Christmas Music on a CD for you... the Trans Sibe (my fave) and a few other "special" pieces so your POOR children don't grow up in a world without tacky christmas music. And I know tacky.