Friday, June 7, 2013

small victories ...

So often, life is just monotonous. We do the same thing day in and day out. We get up at the same time. We work the same hours. We eat meals at set intervals. Give it long enough and you'll start to feel like you're getting no where. I know it happens to me every now and then. I find myself stepping back and looking at all the work I have done over a week or a month or a year and think, "Wow, that was quite the effort to keep things exactly how they are, to keep the wheels spinning and the gears moving."

And that realization can be frustrating.

It's in that frustration that I can usually see past the monotony and understand how many small victories I have each day. It's almost as if I have to embrace the sameness of things to really comprehend the progress we've made and how important that progress is.

This morning, I've decided I'm taking a moment to celebrate in our small victories and to bask in all their glory.
  • I didn't feel like strangling any of my children this week.
  • We cut the girls' hair this week. Since then, they have done their own hair (with a little guidance) everyday. I can see how close I am to freedom in this respect.
  • Speaking of hair, mine was amazing yesterday.
  • The girls chose and made their breakfast everyday this week. Sure, on occasion, it was just a PowerBar and milk, but at least they are becoming a little less dependent on me.
  • I crushed, I mean demolished, my swim on Wednesday.
  • I took Doodle back to the children's urologist this week and for the first time in seven months, her initial urine screen came back clear. A huge step forward in our battle with constant UTIs.
  • Dilly started spelling the words "spell" and "diva", not overly important in the grand scheme of things, but very useful when she then yells, "I'm waiting, D-I-V-A!"
  • I went back to the nutritionist and got the results on my cortisol and DHEA tests. My cortisol levels are out of whack, but (and this is a big but), it's not extremely severe and isn't being caused (although, it is being aggravated) by excessive exercise. The test results showed that I am suffering from hypoglycemia and that the low carb eating style that my last nutritionist put me on has only been worsening the situation. Basically, I've been digging myself into a metabolic hole and now I have to climb out of it. In order to do that, I am changing the proportion of my carbohydrate, protein and fat intake in hopes of fighting off the hypoglycemia. I am taking a Super B Complex to help with my energy levels. And I am drinking coconut water (bleh!) to restore my severely lacking electrolytes. It's going to take time, but I am already starting to feel better. Hopefully, this is the answer I have been looking to find for the last 18 months.
What small victories are you celebrating today?

4 comments:

Kasey said...

Sounds like you have a lot to be proud of!
My small victory today: going off the pain killers (which were only Motrin, anyway, because I'm allergic to the "good stuff") I've been on for 16 days since surgery. It's another step towards being fully recovered and able to run again in 26 more days!

Unknown said...

It's so important to pay attention to the little things, I feel like they mean way more in the grand scheme of things. My mom used to keep my hair shorter when I was a kid, it definitely made me getting ready much easier and more independent. Congrats on an awesome swim, and fingers crossed you can figure out the nutrition stuff soon, I am sure that's really frustrating!

Little victories for me right now: my first tri was last weekend, I have had more motivation to work out in the last few weeks than the first part of this year combined, I actually got my home office cleaned last night (something I have been trying to do for weeks)

Shelley said...

I've read your blog for a LONG time now... I'm such a creeper! ;o) I just wanted to say that I am really proud of all the work you've put in to establishing and maintaining not only your own journey, but also that of your family's. You are amazing!! From me, who does not have a good history with following the guidance of a dietitian, it is always inspiring to see someone beginning to reap the benefits of making what could feel like "unknown" dietary changes. Go YOU!!

Unknown said...

So glad to hear you are feeling a little better and may have finally figured out what this issue is. My small victory is that I have been sticking to my training plan and seeing heart rate improvements. Slow but there. Oh, and I didn't feel like eating my young today :-)