Thursday, June 20, 2013

Take Two ...

Rev3 Williamsburg - In three days, I will be racing finishing my first Olympic distance triathlon at Rev3 Williamsburg. I am the first to admit that I am severely undertrained for this race. My new HalfRev plan for Cedar Point allowed me to really cut back on my volume while I sorted out my health issues. But, in doing this I feel like I've lost my racing edge. The rest of my races this season are likely to be for fun and not speed. Honestly, though, I'm cool with it. I am willing to have one less than stellar season if that means I can come back next year feeling stronger. Plus, there is that little detail of the instant PR, it kind of eases the disappointment of my training cycle.

Racing aside, this weekend promises to be awesome. I get to hang with some of my Team Rev3 peeps, many who I have not seen since the team retreat in January.

So proud to be part of this amazing team ...
And I get to race with my kids. Tomorrow night, J, the girls and I are running the Rev3 Glow Run 1 Mile Fun Run (I had dreamed of the 5K, but no one else is really trained for that). The kids are so excited. But, I'm thinking it's probably less about the actual running and more about the glow-in-the-dark tee shirt and late bedtime (the race starts at 8:25, nearly two hours after their normal bedtime). Either way, it's going to be epic.

Swim, swim, swim - The girls are about to head to their fourth day of swim lessons and I have to say I am crazy impressed by how much they've picked up already. I guess when people say that they'll learn when they're ready is really true. We tried swim lessons about four years ago with Dizzle and Doodle and it was a total nightmare. They (more specifically Dizzle) would not get in the water. There was crying, screaming and the occasional vomiting for everyone involved. It was just rough.

my little fish ...
But, now at 8, 6 and 4, the girls are much more accepting. By the end of the second day, Dizzle, who could doggie paddle with the best of them, was jumping off the starting block and swimming 25 meters continuously (mostly). Doodle, who hated going underwater, was jumping into the deep end and Dilly was doing everything the instructor asked, despite the tears. The best part is that they are suddenly really confident about their abilities. They keep saying that pretty soon they are going to beat me in a race, which is probably true.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Let the fun begin! It's just opened up a world of joy for them. Enjoy! (Glad it's better than day 1.)

Unknown said...

You're going to do awesome, instant PR's are the best!

Unknown said...

As someone who spent many summers teaching swimming lessons....TOTALLY NORMAL. Last year's Terror Child is this year's Fish Face. Trust me. The instructors are used to it (as well as the crying/puking business), so just keeping rolling with it. Congrats to them...they look like the makings of an adorable swim team! :)