Tuesday, February 21, 2012

An apology ...

I'm sorry.

I'm sorry for the last two days.

I'm sorry to my legs for pounding them with 138.2 miles in just two workouts.

I'm sorry to my hips and butt for the cumulative 6 hours and 34 minutes I sat on my bike since Sunday.

I'm sorry to my feet for running as much in the past weekend than I had in the last two weeks.

I'm sorry to my stomach for overfilling it when the post-workout hunger cycle started.

I'm sorry to my head for powering through my workout despite the searing headache.

I'm sorry to my arms for having to hold my body up for all those long hours on the bike.

I'm sorry to my girls for constantly telling them, "Just a minute. I'm almost done with this cycle." 

I'm sorry to my husband for leaving him with our rather demanding children for a large portion of this weekend. I'm sorry for falling asleep on the couch at 8 p.m. I'm sorry that I failed to straighten up the house. And I am sorry I didn't get to play in the snow with him and the girls.

I'm sorry for getting ahead of myself. I'm sorry for thinking that I could manage Ironman training with a husband that travels constantly and kids that still don't go to school full-time. I'm sorry for trying to jump the gun again.

What I'm not sorry for is showing my kids that it takes hard work to reach your goals. I'm not sorry for pushing myself past my limits. I'm not sorry for trying my best to get it all done. And I'm not sorry for putting the "Finish an Ironman" goal out there. I will. Maybe not as soon as I would like. But I will.

And then I'll probably be making these apologies all over again ...


15 comments:

Jill said...

Nicely said! Ironman 2015...let's do this!

Running Ricig said...

I'm tired just reading this! You must be exhausted. Awesome, but exhausted.

Margie said...

Holy cow, that's an incredible amount of working out! Easier said than done, but try not to feel so sorry- you are more than a workout machine; you're a wife and mother to young kids as well. You WILL finish an ironman, there's not a doubt in my mind. The when's not really that important.

Runners Fuel said...

Great!! Sacrifices make us enjoy the time we have with our families even better!

Michelle said...

Honest to goodness I swear that an apology letter has to be a part of any training cycle. Everyone in our little family circle has a melt down now and then. We have to apologize -- everyone gets their pity party and then it's time for the "team" to buck up! Put on them big girl panties and let me finish with my training!
You are awesome. This too shall pass. And an ironman is YOURS--it is only a matter of time before you conquer.

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

I completely thought this was going to be an apology for making us all jealous of your massive training schedule. I still do not know how I will every "feel" ready to tackle my 100. And I know an Ironman will never be in my future. But thank you for making me feel like, if I wanted to, that I could find a way and make it work.
It's not a sacrifice to place your own goals amongst the list of things that need some of your time. It is a life. It is living a life. (and showing your family how to live theirs too). You will have all those goals...when you are ready for them. You will know when the time is right.
Keep living your life and embracing each day!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

I completely thought this was going to be an apology for making us all jealous of your massive training schedule. I still do not know how I will every "feel" ready to tackle my 100. And I know an Ironman will never be in my future. But thank you for making me feel like, if I wanted to, that I could find a way and make it work.
It's not a sacrifice to place your own goals amongst the list of things that need some of your time. It is a life. It is living a life. (and showing your family how to live theirs too). You will have all those goals...when you are ready for them. You will know when the time is right.
Keep living your life and embracing each day!

Running Backwards in High Heels said...

Yep. A mom who trains for any goal like these, should have an apology letter on hand. It takes hard work and dedication to do this things. But, the little things that my girls say about me running, just reinforces that they watch and are proud. You are showing them to work hard for goals.. never forget that! I'm thinking.. post brick workouts mean snuggle time on the couch, I say! :) Also.. I can't wait to see your princess outfit for this weekend! It keeps popping into my head and I just KNOW it's going to ROCK!!

Unknown said...

You are going to do great! www.dashingdiva.net

Unknown said...

you are awesome and your family knows it and accepts it. But I can't help but feel a little of the same apology to my family when I spend 2+ hours on my long runs on Sundays.

carrie said...

TMB- You totally ROCK! As a mom, wife and an athlete!!! You are a Honey Badger and you are teaching your girls how to be just like you! Keep up the good work!!!!!

fancy nancy said...

Well said...you are amazing! You're showing your girls what strong looks like!!

H Love said...

you are doing great! You are working on BALANCE and showing your girls HOW to do this is tricky. You are amazingly strong!! Hang in there! Proud of you!

Marlene said...

You had some KILLER workouts. Nice little taste of what IM training will bring. I'm sure you'll be forgiven. ;)

Jason said...

As parents we lead by example and sometimes that example is that we are not perfect but we make the best of it and that is what you did.

Nothing to be sorry for.....you are a terrific example to your kids and to J as well. We also learn from and teach our spouses.