Wednesday, March 7, 2012

refocusing ...

When I am on vacation, I do my best to stay present with the people around me. I keep my computer shut off. I keep my cell phone at bay. I try to remain "disconnected." Sometimes, it works. Sometimes, it doesn't. But, without fail, I always return from vacation with the reminder of two things.

First, I'm not a fan of "keeping up" with the people around me. Deep down, I know that you can't prove anything by owning the best of everything. I know true value is not attached to objects, but rather actions.

But, that doesn't mean I don't get caught up in it.

And second, I'm not of fan of "forcing" things to happen. (Note: there is a difference between forcing something to happen and working hard at something). Things that are meant to be, will be. And if I am constantly pushing and pushing to make things happen, they probably shouldn't be a part of my life.

But, that doesn't mean that I don't push harder than I should at times.

I came home from our recent trip feeling like I needed to refocus. Feeling like I needed to reassess how I am spending my time. And feeling like I needed to decide what people and things deserved my attention and what could fall to the wayside.

So, I'll be downsizing some aspects of my life.

Commitments that I don't really want to be committed to.
Obligations that don't excite me.
Fillers that are just taking up space.

I want my actions to have purpose. I want to do things because I want to, not because I have to. And I want to share those things with the people I love, because in the end, they are all that matter.

11 comments:

Kortni said...

I could not agree with you more and yet it can be so hard to do at times. My word for this year is FOCUS. Focus on keeping things simple, being in the moment, being with my family, making memories with them. I have no doubt you will be successful at this!

Anabela (Bela) Neves said...

Absolutely a great idea! Prior to running (2 years ago) I was really into scrapbooking and I now feel I am still doing it to stick with those scrapbook friends but ny heart is not into it anymore. I much rather concentrate on running and my healthy lifestyle.

SupermomE13 said...

Great post! One of the the things that is very freeing about having 12 kids and one with significant special needs, is that it makes it easy to cut out the unimportant stuff. I have my family. I run. I write. Anything else is "filler" that I may or may not choose to do and I learned how to say "no" and cut out a lot without any guilt at all. Time is to precious to waste it on stuff that isn't MOST important to us. :)

Anonymous said...

What a great post. I know that this is something that needs to happen for me as well. This might be just the kick in the pants I needed!

Running Ricig said...

I love this! I want to downsize my life.

Alanna said...

Such an excellent reminder! I struggle greatly with "keeping up" - mainly the fact that we own a condo, not a real house like 98% of our friends. I just want Spud to have a back yard...

Emz said...

lovin' this.

so true. :)

Sally said...

If I could be half as purposeful and present as you are, I'd be proud of how far I've come. Your ability to be introspective yet completely unselfish is a trait I'd like some of please...send it over.

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Details?? This is intriguing to me..

Marlene said...

I hear ya. I have been trying to give myself permission lately to just LET GO. I feel so overwhelmed half the time that it literally makes me sick. Something's gotta give.

Running Backwards in High Heels said...

I agree. It's very "keeping up with the joneses" on social networking. It's been less stressful for me to say, ya know what? I don't have time for that. But I do have those times where I feel like I am walking around with a bag over my head because I am so blind to things going on around me.