Wednesday, July 17, 2013

best intentions ...

Most of the time, I train alone.

Most of the time, I train indoors.

Most of the time, I follow my plan to the T.

Except when I don't ...

Being Type-A and extremely OCD, I thrive on having a plan. I want to know exactly what to do and exactly when to do it. I'm a rule follower and I don't like quitting, so I usually find a way to get everything done.

But, the thing about being Type-A is that I always want to be perfect. Or maybe better than perfect. When I approach my training, I tend to find a plan that seems realistic for my ability level and lifestyle. And then I add mileage and extra workouts. EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.

Because if some is good than more is better. 

Um, no, TMB. More is not better.

I know this, but I still add those workouts. I sit there thinking, "I can handle more than this," rather than just relishing in the fact that the training load is manageable. And the thing is, for a week or two, these extra workouts are no big deal. I fit them in and I feel fine.

But, then life gets in the way. I have three kids who need constant supervision and a husband who travels pretty much every week. I have to squeeze things in around play dates and lessons and a million other responsibilities.

And do you know what happens every single time?

I drop all those extra workouts that I thought I needed. Even when there isn't all that much going on, I still end up dropping them. It never escapes my mind that they aren't really necessary, that the plan doesn't really call for them and that no one is going to push me to do them.

Do I ever skip the workouts that were originally on the plan? Nope. Not ever. But week after week, my modifications get thrown out the window.

Most of the time, I'm not really sure why I waste my time crafting the workouts in the first place. Or why I even care that I skip them. But, then I realize that those "extra" workouts allow me to feel like my plan has wiggle room and flexibility. They remind me that sometimes it's OK to not be a slave to the plan and that even with the best intentions, life gets in the way. And that's perfectly fine.

No comments: