Thursday, February 11, 2010

and then I couldn't sit ...

My office is in my dining room. My desk is right next to my table. My table has a glass top. Today, I felt the need to slam my tailbone onto the corner of the glass table top. (I'm not even sure why I was squatting). The table top shifted. I feared that when I turned around the plates on the table were going to be broken. But I couldn't turn around. I was too busy clinching my cheeks (yes, those cheeks) to fight the pain. The pain that nearly made me pass out. The pain that caused pressure in my ears. The pain that made me call G to have her watch my children in case I fell unconscious. Fortunately, that feeling passed as quickly as it came, but then I couldn't sit ...

My Coccyx is crazy bruised. It's definitely swollen. It hurts when I cough. My first thought (before the wave of impending doom hit me) was, "Holy Crap. I have a race in three weeks." But I'll be OK, because I did some research and found this info on how to heal ...

Avoid sitting down for long periods of time. When seated, sit on hard surfaces and alternate sitting on each side of the buttocks. Also, lean forward and direct your weight away from the tailbone.

For traumatic injuries, apply ice to the tailbone area for 15-20 minutes, four times a day, for the first few days after the injury.

Use ibuprofen (Advil), or a similar pain medicine, as directed on the label for pain control.
You can purchase a "doughnut" cushion or pillow to sit on. This cushion has a hole in the middle of it to prevent the tailbone from contacting the flat surface.


Eat foods high in fiber to soften stools and avoid constipation.

Look there is no mention of NOT RUNNING. Just ice, Advil and sitting on a "doughnut." In fact, it says not to sit for a long time. And what is the opposite of sitting? Standing. And what can you do when you are standing? You can run.

18 comments:

Zoƫ said...

You need one of those inflatible donut thingys.

I hope you heal quickly! That pain sounds awful!

Momma Twitch said...

OUCH! That is NO fun. I bet you'll recover pretty quick. ouch....

Libby said...

Oh my gosh....OUCH!! When I was little I was on a seesaw and I smashed down onto and I had bruises/pain for a long time. Sometimes I wonder if it broke off...lol

I hope you get better fast!

Marlene said...

OUCH! That is the *worst* feeling. Hope you feel better SOON!

Kerrie said...

Oh my gosh, ouch. That sounds so painful. Ice, lots of ice!

gba_gf said...

AND thanks BTW for using the proper anatomical word for my continued studies. BUT uhg! I'm SO sad that happened!

Anne said...

Big ouch!! Take care...and heal fast.

bethtrue said...

oooh ouch! you poor thing. that is miserable. that made me cringe just reading your description. good luck in your healing...

Unknown said...

wow! That hurt just reading bout it! Hope you heal fast and do let us know how running goes.
Happy not sitting to you!

Paige (The Last Doughnut) said...

Oh goodness!!! I hope you feel better soon!

Steel Springs said...

Oh no! Ouch! I hope it heals quickly!

Katie A. said...

Oh no! Hope you feel better! Butt injuries are no fun!

Sarah said...

OW!!! I did something very similar one time while sledding down a big hill and then slamming down on my butt. Hope you heal fast!

ajh said...

Great last paragraph! Hope you heal quickly!

Anonymous said...

ouch ouch ouch! when we were little a friend of mine and i were jumping on a couch with wooden arms...and well she slipped and her butt hit the wood so hard that she broke her butt bone. Yep, she broke her butt.

PS. I mailed out your little surprise today. You're going to laugh very hard cuz i pretty much covered it in 2 cent stamps I had left over and didn't want to waste...

Badgergirl said...

Ouch! I hope you heal quickly!

ihaverun said...

I know everyone is saying it but seriously, OUCH!!

I love your reasoning. You make a very convincing argument!!

Anonymous said...

like everybody else...i am going to say "ouch". i am so sorry for the pain you must be feeling. hope the pain doesn't last too long. take the advil.