Monday, May 24, 2010

awards galore ...

Last week, I was tapped with the Versatile Blogger Award by Molly. And Courtney. And Marlene. And Mrs. D. And Tall Mom. And Stacie. And Katye. Apparently, I'm pretty popular. But, you knew that already didn't you?

Anyway, to accept this award, I must divulge seven facts about myself. So, here it goes ...

1. I just got the save the date for my 10 year high school reunion this week. It's November 27th and I am really psyched about it. I'm 99.9999999% sure that not a single person I grew up with would have ever expected me to turn out the way I did. I'd like to go back and show them they had me pegged wrong. I also really want to see who I was wrong (or right) about.

2. Speaking of school, I had horrible attendance. I was home schooled twice, once in 7th grade and once in 9th, due to a broken pelvis and mono, respectively. Each time, I missed three months of school. Things didn't get much better when I returned. I was a classic overachiever and didn't really need to sit in class to learn the material, so I didn't want to sit in class and be bored. Because of that, I missed 72 days (almost all excused) of my senior year. I still got straight A's. And my parents were cool with the whole situation.

3. In high school, weight training was a large part of my daily routine as a shot putter. At one point, I could bench press 200 pounds. I was strong. And big. I could probably have lifted more than most of the guys at my school, which probably contributed to the way I was perceived back then.

4. Another thing that probably messed with people's perception of me was that I HATE being late. For anything. In high school, I was never late to a single class. I darted through the halls like a woman on a mission. I was so focused that I was often told I looked mean. (I'm so not.) Now, I generally arrive 10-15 early for everything. I always give myself a cushion. If I don't get somewhere early, something MAJOR has probably happened.

5. Now that I think about it, my appearance also contributed to the way I was perceived. I NEVER cared about how I looked. I wore soccer shorts, a tee shirt and sandals pretty much everyday. I was a mess. But I just wasn't concerned about putting effort into my style. I thought as I matured that this aspect of my personality had changed, but I was wrong. I recently realized that my soccer shorts and tee shirts have been replaced with running skirts or shorts and race tees. I guess you can't really escape who you are.

6. I am highly allergic to poison ivy. I don't even need to touch it. I just need to be in the general area to break out in a rash. One time in the fifth grade, I had such a bad reaction that my eyes were swollen shut and my fingers were covered and swollen so badly that I couldn't really touch anything. I ended up needing a cortisone shot to reduce the inflammation. It was horrible.

7. In the last month, I have stopped eating fried foods. I thought it would be really hard to do, but I am finding it much easier than expected. But I know that at some point, I am really going to want french fries and my will power will be tested ...

OK, so I am supposed to tag 15 more people, but I really don't have time for it right now. So, if you have the word RUN in your blog title, consider yourself tagged ...

27 comments:

Teamarcia said...

Holy Hercules you are strong!
I am so with you on #4. Never late!

Marlene said...

Little Miss Popular! :) Thanks for playing along.

HOW did you break your pelvis?? Yikes!

The good thing about french "fries" is you can make them in the oven and they're just as tasty! That's what I do when I need my fix. Toss in olive oil and seasonings and roast. Yum!

Molly said...

You were a shot putter? Coolio!!

I have my TWENTY year reunion in October, can't wait because my 10 was a blast. You're going to have a great time!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

That is a lot of awards!

My daughter's mission in life right now (aside from helping me dress better) is to have perfect attendance! She even missed her big brother's BCT Graduation to keep her record.

I am the same with poison ivy. I only need to be down wind of it. I once had it all over...head to toe, in my eyes and mouth and..unmentionables. The shots didn't really help, I had to endure it while it ran it's course. Terrible!

Baked french fries are pretty good too.

Katie A. said...

Wow, that is a lot of school days missed! I hope you remember that when your girlies want to stay home! Tee hee!
I haven't eaten fried food or fast food in almost five years. I think if I did, I would be sick! Keep it up! You'll feel so much better!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

I helped plan my 10 year and it was GREAT! I hope you SMASH those ideas people have about you.. PLEASE PLEASE wear a dress, no running skirt ;)

Stacie said...

Fun list. I am with you on the never being late thing. It drives me crazy when everyone else is. I had perfect attendance all through high school. I even wrecked my car my Junior year and made my parents take me afterwards. My principal excused the time I missed :) What a nerd :)

Unknown said...

Glad to get to know you better!

I have had to work at not being late and for the last few years especially I have taken pride in being early!

MCM Mama said...

I can't stand being late, but ever since having Shoo, I've had a hard time making it places on time. It drives me insane, but I have yet to find a solution.

At least your running skirts and shirts match...

S Club Mama said...

My freshman year of high school, I wore sandals (Doc Martens) every day, literally. Snow, sun - didn't matter. :D

Tricia said...

loved this!

Pining for Pinterest said...

Loved learning more about you! I hate being late or late people too!!! It is a big pet peeve of mine :)

Carly said...

I'm sure all the people at the high school will be plesantly surprised. I know I wouldn't want to go to any of mine until I've got a few accomplishments under my belt. Gotta have something to brag, I mean talk, about. :-)

Jamie said...

Yea, I so didn't care about my appearance in high school either! Great list!

Emz said...

little miss popular. Have you seen "wicked"? You need to have that song play when people link to your blog.

I think I'm slightly jealous of your "status". ;)

Meg Kathleen said...

I have my 10 year high school reunion this summer too. Although, unlike you I am only 50% certain I will go. But if I were in your situation where I could say "HA You were all wrong!" I would totally go!

Robyn said...

I never knew you were a shot-putter, learn something new every day:)

Colleen said...

Shot Putters rule! But I couldn't bench press that much, I just went to a really small high school :)

Tara said...

Hah! So if we have the word "Run" in our blog title, we're tagged? I think you probably just tagged 75% of us!

You are strong woman! 200 lbs is a lot to bench press. Wow!

I hate being late too. Ugh!

Katye said...

i can't wait to hear about your reunion! You are going to shock the socks off them! (did you like my sock reference). and the poison ivy thing?? omgsh that's so scary! I remember one time at camp when I was like 11 this girl got it on her hands or something before eating and her throat swelled up and they had to get a tube down her throat ahhhh. I'd glad that didn't happen.

Lindsay said...

I love it!! You are super strong!! way to bench it :)

Anonymous said...

shot putter how cool!

X-Country2 said...

I had a really good time people watching at my 10 year reunion. Crazy how time flies!

Marlene said...

Eeeeek, I just realized today is the deadline for the Rock Your Socks virtual race. It's a holiday here, and I am completely discombobulated/unorganized and have been in the sun all day.

I did my run yesterday... we ran 12K so I took the average pace and calculated a 10K time of 1:01:00. It felt like a SLOG. Extremely hot and I am exhausted from last weekend.

Sorry no fancy report/pics... I won't be able to get it together today, as per the discombobulation mentioned above. Sorry!

Looking forward to seeing everyone else's reports!

Judi said...

Fun to read over your recent posts. I've been kind of away from reading blogs this past week!

Dizzle - what a beautiful baby she was - all that hair!

What a fun group of moms you have to run with! I am envious! How did you hook up with all of them?

I hate being late too. I wish I could say I am always early but having four kids has sometimes gotten in the way of my anal tendencies!! :)

Have a great week Tonia!

Anonymous said...

love this! I too can't wait for my HS reunion in 2 years. I was the goody goody and the athlete who didn't really have time for much else. People gave me a really hard time for doing what was right and standing up for myself and a lot of those mean ppl are still partying it up in college and working in bars. fun fun!

Jessica said...

First off, THANKS for commenting of my blog! You really made my day. And since my blog title has the word "Run'ning" in it I am going to consider myself tagged as well. I dont have a lot of readers but have always wanted to do a random facts post :)

My 10 year is next year and I am not really looking for it. I too missed much of my senior year, luckily there wasn't an attendance policy that year. As an adult I have learned that I have to be dependable and have only missed 4 days of work in 8 years.

Jessica