Friday, July 16, 2010

my top 10 reasons why I hate traveling ...

OK, let me rephrase that. I love traveling. When I am doing it alone. Or with J. But with kids? Well, that's just a little less fun. So, here is my list of the top 10 reason I hate traveling with the kids ...

10. All the gear - When J and I went places before we had kids, we packed a bag. A very small bag. But now, we pack up half of our house for a three-day weekend. And even when we think that there isn't that much to bring, we still end up forgetting something ...

9. All the toys, or lack thereof - Kids like toys. I like toys. They keep my kids occupied when I need to get things done. But when we travel we never have enough toys. Or the right toys. Or we come home with new toys ...

8. The limited wardrobe - Kids are messy. Even my three girly girl princesses (who have an affinity for getting dressed up and playing in the mud). And when you are traveling and only have a few outfits with you, your kids either end up very messy looking or you are stressing out about where you can do laundry. Or you end up buying more clothes ...

7. Poor food choices - At my house, my kids eat what I say, when I say. But when traveling, it's every man for himself. We definitely don't eat a balanced diet and sometimes eating something (even if it's goldfish) is better than eating nothing at all ...

6. Sleeping arrangements - I LOVE my bed. My kids LOVE their beds. When we travel, we don't have our beds. And Dilly has to sleep in a Pack and Play, which is code for a wood plank with a 1/4 inch cushion on it. No one sleeps well. This makes for an unhappy mother ...

5. The excess whining - The lack of good sleep leads to an increase in poor behavior. Mainly whining and screaming. And in case you forgot, my kids are already beyond loud ...

4. No schedules - I am a creature of habit. I like structure and I rarely deviate from it (and my kids have come to expect it). Except when we travel. I try my best to keep everything as close to normal as possible, but it's nearly impossible to do. And it drives me crazy ...

3. My workouts are erratic - Traveling makes working out hard. Especially, if you have to work around someone else schedule. Or don't have child care. Or it's 1000 degrees out ...

2. Traffic - Getting stuck in traffic is hellish to begin with, but add three unhappy/bored/tired children to the mix and we are all lucky that I don't just drive off the road ...

and the number one reason, I hate traveling with kids is ...

1. PUBLIC RESTROOMS - Enough said ...

24 comments:

Keri said...

Ha! Sounds like you need a vacation from your vacation!! Hope you had fun in Jersey :)

Sarah K said...

Tomorrow, we are flying for the first time since having Jacob....your post makes me even more nervous!

S Club Mama said...

We have a 3 day trip just me and Big A this next week. Then a week at home. Then a week-long vacation with the kids (where Big A will be working some of the days so I get to be in a hotel room with 2 children :S yuck). So Amen to this list. :(

To Sarah: flying is so much better with kids. at least we've had good luck with it

Tricia said...

EEEKK, public restrooms. I swear, as soon as we step into one my child grows like 10 extra hands. I spend more time trying to keep him from touching things than I do going to the bathroom.

wendy said...

Oh, I feel the SAME EXACT WAY!!!! I love to travel, but I just don't enjoy traveling with the kids! In our car everyone fights over who sits in the middle and someone ALWAYS throws up! ughhhh...

Liz said...

With a 4- and 2-year old, I totally relate to every one of those points! I find I really enjoy getting into a routine afterwards - it's great to get back in control! The stress of holidaying makes you appreciate daily life...

Emz said...

I'm sooooooooooo with you on this.
Love the list!

Ok, made home isn't such a bad place after all. ;)

Janet said...

Well said! I just traveled 2030 miles with my 4 and 7 yr olds while the hubby stayed home to work. They did remarkably well but I can relate to every single thing you said... Especially if you tie it in with your post about getting urinated on by your kids. Cleaning up vomit on the side of an interstate is not safe nor pretty.

Allie said...

I hear ya, I travel a lot with just me and the kids and I usually want to stab myself in the ear with a pencil before the trip is over. The only good thing is that I find with every year they get older it gets easier.

misszippy said...

You sum it all up beautifully...all moms can relate!

Aimee said...

I can definitely relate to all of those!

Anonymous said...

Yep- I can relate too!
I used to be able to travel with a small carry on or duffle bag. Those days are GONE!

KovasP said...

Great list. Travel is simpler without the kids but you know you would just miss them if they didn't come along.

Average Woman Runner said...

YES!
Looking forward to & dreading a trip from Seattle to Vermont next month with our toddler...

Deanna said...

Sigh...I could have written this same post. I feel your pain; which is why we don't travel much.

My favorite is when people say, "Just bring the kids." Like it's that easy. They don't understand all the ramifications that go along with just bringing the kids.

Great post! You made me smile!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Universal reasons! Great job taking the kids back home for a visit without support.

I face that nearly every weekend right now. Fun. But I tell myself I am teaching the kids to like traveling and to self content. I tell myself that and lots of other things to great through it. ;-)

Char said...

I knew there was a reason that I never travelled when my kids were little. Takes a brave woman.

Unknown said...

That pretty much sums it up. With my guys, I'd add food choices (we have picky eaters).

The time together, though, with no interruptions makes it all worthwhile - well, except for the public washrooms.

ihaverun said...

I am sriously considering copying and pasting this to my blog. I tried to find a couple of specific things from the list to comment on but I just couldn't narrow it down. I feel your pain; all of it!Enjoy your vacation!!

ihaverun said...

I tried to delete and correct my comment but blogger hates me. Please excuse the typo!

Anonymous said...

you are the best birth cotrol ever.

LAPT said...

Hey, there! You're my giveaway winner!!! Send me an email at laurenpt AT gmail DOT com and we can exchange info -- I'll get your address and which necklace you'd like from Rebecca's shop, and I'll let her know!

Silly Girl Running said...

Been reading your blog for a couple of weeks now, and I just wanted to tell you that I think you're hilarious! So funny!

You and some other great bloggers even inspired me to start my own blog at http://sillygirlrunning.blogspot.com

Love your blog!

Jeri said...

wow. guess who has firmly decided to NOT have children after this post.... hahah doesn't sound like much fun. :p