Thursday, August 30, 2012

Three Things Thursday ...

Jet Lagged: Although I returned to the East Coast on Monday morning, I haven't been able to shake being on West Coast time. Usually, I am falling asleep on the couch around 9 p.m., but all this week I have been forcing myself into bed well after midnight. And when my kids are begging to get up in the morning, I find myself bribing them to stay in bed. (Note: I am no better once I get out of bed. I end up walking around like a zombie.)

Needless to say, we can't keep functioning like this. I mean, school starts on Tuesday and those 6:45 a.m. alarms are going to be a rude wake up call.

Half Debut: Since moving to my house in April, I have turned my little sister into a runner (although, she still tries to say that she's not). For a while now, we have been contemplating running a half marathon together. Initially, we were going to go for the Walt Disney World Half Marathon, but finances and logistics got in the way.

Then, I tried to convince her that the Richmond Half Marathon would be a suitable alternative. But, that was a no go. She said that the November date was too soon, so instead, we registered for the 8K (my favorite race of all time).

I figured that the chances of getting her to commit to a half before the middle of 2013 was slim to none. Then this morning, this happened ...


Yup. I got her.

We are headed back to our hometown for her first half marathon in SEVEN WEEKS. And she said November was too soon ...

Off-Season: I'm overcooked. Done. Over it.

It occurred to me the other day that with the exception of the three weeks I took off immediately after Dilly was born, I have never taken more than 3 days in a row off from training. Not even after any of my six marathons. That's just insane.

The past five years of non-stop training has kicked my butt and I need some time to recover. So, that's what I have decided to do. After Patriots Sprint next weekend, I am going off the training plan. Yes, I will still run, bike and swim, but I am cutting my workout volume by about half from 10-16 hours per week to 5-8 hours per week. I am confident that my body needs to reset itself, and I know this will do it.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

For as unhappy as I was about being put on forced rest, it has really been a blessing. I can tell that my body is happy and will come back stronger.

Running Ricig said...

Ugh, jet lag is the worst. I have no excuse and I still can't get out of bed in the morning.

I'm so excited for you and your sister!!

Sweat Is My Sanity said...

Sounds like your'e a pro and know just what your body needs. I tried to follow you on twitter but the link is broken. You can find me at
@sweatismysanity and sweatismysanity.com (formerly runningtobeskinny.com)

Jessica Washburn

Unknown said...

Was there a #3? I can't get past #2! See you in New Jersey!! Woo hoo. Thanks to J for letting you come play with us.

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

So great that you girls get to do the half in your hometown together!! Amazing. I'd love to have family members willing to run with me let alone race!

Okay, I just have to say that I honestly wish I could cut back my miles. Take a break. Give my body a rest. I know that my body needs it but this (insane) daily habit is (nearly) unbreakable. Congrats to you for being wiser than I am.

Anonymous said...

I ran a 10k with my sister this year and it was a lot of fun! She also started running because I didn't stop talking about it.

Katie said...

Awesome! The race reg's and the time off. Enjoy it.