Monday, April 8, 2013

Spring Break Run Around ...

About 10 minutes ago, I sent my older two back to school after nine and a half fun-filled days with them. Usually, this is where I'd make a sarcastic remark about how "not epic" it really was, but for some reason (probably due to a change in perspective which I'll discuss at a later time), I honestly enjoyed every single second of spring break.

There were no meltdowns (at least none that couldn't be quickly extinguished). The girls were fine doing everything or nothing at all (honestly, we did a lot of everything). And on more than one occasion, I sat apart from the girls, listening to them play, thinking "Wow. They really are best friends." It was blissful.

We started break with an Easter egg hunt with G and her kids. It was hysterical to watch a group of 4-12 year-olds running around aimlessly looking for eggs that were so obviously out in the open. Maybe it's all the adrenaline that make them blind to what's right in front of them.

Later that afternoon, we came home to a set of passes to the White House Easter Egg Roll sent to us by the people at Honest Tea. Apparently, there is a lottery each year for tickets, but with over 300,000 applications and only 35,000 tickets, it can be difficult to get your hands on some.

We decided to leave the house by 6 a.m. in order to be there relatively close to the 8 a.m. start time. Unfortunately, thanks to a faulty GPS, my weak bladder and a long walk with three slow walkers, we didn't actually arrive at the White House until after 9:00, at which point we waited and waited. We had heard a rumor that our VIP passes could get us in without the long wait, but since we were unable to find a volunteer who actually knew what was going on we stood in a monstrous queue for nearly an hour - fine for me but tortuous for the girls.

right before we got in line ...
Once we were allowed to enter, all the frowns disappeared. The lawn of the White House was filled with activities and games for the kids. They did everything from the Egg Roll to running an obstacle course to dissecting lima beans. It was cool for them, but even cooler for J and me. We understood how amazing this experience was, they just thought it was fun.

seriously impressive ...
Our crew waiting to participate in the Egg Roll ...

After we left the White House, the girls and I headed to New Jersey to visit my mom and to surprise them with an overnight trip to NYC. We spent 30 hours running around the city, spending an ungodly amount on everything from breakfast to museum admission. Seriously, I can't fathom how expensive it would be to raise a family of five while living there.

Anyway, during our trip we took the girls to Times Square, chowed down at Carmine's and explored every corner of the American Museum of Natural History.

Dizzle's first view of the city. Walking up 42nd street ...
Sleepover time ...

Lunch at Carmine's ...
Candy stairway at Dylan's Candy Bar ...
The girls were amazed by everything from the skyscrapers to the endless supply of sugar at Dylan's Candy Bar and toys at F.A.O. Schwartz. In fact, when I asked Dizzle what she liked most about our visit, she said, "I loved everything about New York, except that all the bathrooms are so small."

After four days of traveling, we finally returned home to finish out Spring Break. We spent the rest of our vacation frequenting the library and several parks. I showed the girls how to make homemade pizza and meatloaf and they showed me that they can handle more than I usually dish out to them. I think we all woke up this morning feeling like we had grown over the past week and that we had accomplished so much. And while, I love that I am going to get a little break today, I was really sad to see them go back.

*disclaimer: While I did receive the tickets to the White House Easter Egg Roll free of charge, the opinions stated here are entirely my own.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow - sounds like a jammed packed couple of days. But amazing... what cool experiences for all of you!

Lora said...

WOW what an amazing couple of days... the White House Egg Roll!! So amazing!!

Zaneta @ Runner's Luck said...

That sounds like a super amazing Spring Break!! Playing on the front lawn of the White House?!! Super cool!!! :)