Monday, May 30, 2011

Autism 5K recap ...

Location: Glen Allen, VA
Date: 5/28/11
Temperature: Sunny, 75 degrees
Official Time: 27:27 (8:51 pace) for 3.1 miles
Garmin Time: 27:25 (8:45 pace) for 3.13 miles
Place in Age Group: 6/38
Overall Place: 123/531

Remember how I mentioned that I was signed up for a 5K this past weekend? And how I wasn't really going to run it hard? Yeah, about that. My predetermined plan of running three sub-10 minute miles was pretty much out the window once the gun went off. It was awesome (mostly).

The Good:

Team GBA - The posse was out in full force and were most definitely the fastest team out there. Three age group wins. Two 3rd place finishes. And almost everyone else finished in the Top 10 of their respective categories. We were on fire. And we looked good doing it.

The Outfit - Despite being a team, we didn't wear a uniform. Well, other than tall socks. Because, that's how we roll. And if you look closely at mine, you'll see that my socks have cupcakes on them. Pretty much the best thing ever. (Thanks VK!)

Mile 1 and Mile 2 - When I started running, I planned on being "reserved." And I thought I was. The rest of my crew bolted from the start. They were running so fast that I thought I had to be going slow. Yeah, not so much. Mile 1 clocked in at 8:02. And mile 2 was 8:34. Definitely too fast for me not to blow up in mile 3, but it was good to know I hadn't lost ALL my fitness.

The Shoulder - DID.NOT.HURT. That is all.

Placement - I some how finished 6th in my age group. With a sling. I think that ups my bada** status.


The Bad:

The Temperature - It was hot. And humid. And I hadn't run outdoors in a month. Enough said.

The Ugly:

Mile 3 - Yeah, I might have started out to fast. I may have forgotten that I had only run 3.25 miles since May 1st. And I possibly ignored the fact that the last time I ran more than three miles was April 28th. By the time I hit mile 3, I hit the wall. Hard. My lungs hated me. I walked at least a third of the mile. It.Was.Sad. (Note: I did run three sub-10 minute miles. Mile 3 was 9:50)

My Running Form - Although, I have been unable to track down a picture of me during the race, I know it was scary. I mean, I wore this ...

Yes, the outfit is sweet, but that sling. Ugh. It served it's purpose, but I know it had me looking all crazy. My friends told me so.

27 comments:

Lacey said...

You looked fabulous...sling & all. =)

justme said...

you are a rockstar !!!!

Running Ricig said...

Your outfit really is fantastic. I'd like you to pick out a completely new running wardrobe for me. I need to learn from you.

Awesome job on the run!!

Marlene said...

So glad you were able to run the 5K afterall. Definitely bada** points. And now you have a 5K "sling" PR!

Null said...

Further proving runners are a crazy bunch. Now that's the look of an ultimate warrior. Congrats on such a fast time with one arm tied around your back, ummm, chest.

Unknown said...

It looks like not running is agreeing with you! You look FAB!

S Club Mama said...

You did look great...and even more, you ran for a very good cause :) thanks

Lisa said...

You are just simply a rock star!!!! Great job! I'm so glad that you were able to do it and that it didn't hurt. And I think your team was wearing a uniform - you were all in purple and blue - looked perfect! Love the cup cake socks. Thinking of you daily and wishing you a speedy recovery!

Jodi H said...

Yes, definitely galactic bad***. Great job T!!

SupermomE13 said...

I don't think any of us believed you weren't going to run it hard. :)
Great job!!!

Meredith said...

You. Are. Awesome!! Nice job!!

Anonymous said...

You are AWESOME! Great job out there, T! :)

Nicole Orriƫns said...

I love the outfits! And I can certainly sympatize about the heat: it's like cryptonite to my running form.

But I was wondering: if it was so warm, aren't those long socks terribly hot?

I've never seen so many long socks beneath running skirts. Is this a new trend? They certainly look cute.

momshomerun.blogspot.com

Gaspegirl said...

You did awesome! You ROCK!

RunningFromCancer said...

Love the outfits and how colorful they are together . . . especially the socks!

Glad your shoulder didn't hurt at all! You are clearly on the mend.

Carly said...

Wow! You really are amazing.

Unknown said...

Nice, nice, nice. The best news is that your arm didn't hurt. Got to start preparing for SF, ya know!

ajh said...

Glad your arm didn't hurt. Wish you had a pic. Yeah you are BA for sure.

Zaneta @ Runner's Luck said...

yay!!! That's fantastic!!! I'm so glad you had zero shoulder pain!! :) I've been praying for you!! Hopefully you dont have to wear that sling much longer :)

Anonymous said...

Definitely bada**. So glad your recovery is going well! That's far faster than I run uninjured. :)

Char said...

The sling was just the wrong colour. Would have been way better with a few cupcakes on it (or in it). Well done on the race - that's a pretty slick time for running one-armed.

Raquelita said...

You are definitely bad-a**! I love your cupcake socks!

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

Thank you for running for Autism. I'm glad the arm held up for you. Thank you again.

Anabela (Bela) Neves said...

Seriously, you rock!

Kurt @ Becoming An Ironman said...

You crazy runner!!

...I would have done the same thing!

Julie D. said...

seriously, couldn't get any more GBA!! You are awesome.

VK said...
This comment has been removed by the author.