Friday, May 27, 2011

underestimating ...

I am currently reading The Triathlete's Training Bible by Joe Friel (thanks to the lovely SpeeDee). In chapter six of the book, Friel writes about the three basic abilities which are crucial to optimal multisport performance - endurance, force and speed skills.

During my self-assessment, I determined that as a runner, I am strong in all three. As a swimmer, I am weak in all three. And as a cyclist, I have solid endurance (thanks in large part to my run base) and moderate force and speed skills.

I know that if anything is going to hold me back when I make my 70.3 debut, it's going to be the swim. No question about it. But, until yesterday, I was feeling like my cycling had the potential to hurt me too.

I have been riding for time. With no bike computer or speed/cadence monitor, I just pedal comfortably until time is up. And then I guess about how far I went. Generally speaking, I guess 15 mph. Made sense to me. It looks like a good number.

But yesterday, I finally got my speed/cadence monitor set up. The plan for my workout was to ride for an hour. So, I turned on my Garmin and got started. I didn't pay much attention to the display since I was basing my time remaining on the television show I was watching. Then, about 45 minutes in, I finally looked. In a complete surprise to me, my average speed was 20.7 and my current speed was 22.3. And I felt strong.

When the hour was up, I decided that 25 miles sounded better than an hour. So, I kept going finishing the 25 miles in 1:13:10 with an average speed of 20.5 and a max speed of 28.5 (I have no idea where that came from).

I have been seriously underestimating myself. I'm not sure why either. I mean, you've met "The Quads" before ...

I should have never doubted them.

18 comments:

Rachel said...

That is awesome! I'm sure those quads will help power you through your swim too! PS- I get super jealous when your quads make an appearance, but am happy to report that I can see mine under a layer of fat that I am trying my hardest to get off.

Running Ricig said...

Never doubt the quads! That's really exciting. WAY better than finding out you're only going like 12 mph :)

Unknown said...

Haha! that's great - and I love that you're featuring the quads. My quads are shy, shrinking violets. Literally - I don't think I've seen them in months!

Marlene said...

That must have been a pleasant surprise! Those quads are working!

Penny said...

Way to go quads. I know sometimes we surprise ourselves. Way to go on that bike ride. Have a great weekend and holiday

SportyMomme said...

The swim is def part of a tri that scares me a little. I need to be training more that is a given! Running has always been my thing, of course bouncing back from baby hasn't been as easy as I envisioned - sometimes I forget I am not in the same form as I was last year...not yet anyway! The most significant part of any training is the mental game... keep up the good work, we are always capable of a lot more than we give ourselves credit for!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Always a good day when we can amaze ourselves!

Anne said...

Speedy! :) Who doesn't love those kinds of surprises. Go quads go!

Anonymous said...

I can swim.. the bike on a flat I can ride 20-22mph..BUT there's tons of hills here SIGH.. that slows me down. The run.. well if I get run injury free.. I wish I had your legs!!!!

Run with Jess said...

Bahahaha... your Quads are amazing!

Rene' said...

I say it every time you talk about your quads...they are truly amazing....great biking:)

Beth said...

Seriously, your legs do not mess around! I think you have a promising career ahead in triathlons!

kimert said...

Those are indeed some awesome quads!!!

Elle said...

ditto
ditto
ditto

Awesome quads!

track coach and adorable wife said...

Those things are beasts! You are a biking super star, I'm jealous!

ajh said...

Jealous! That is fast.

Lacey said...

T- It was so incredible meeting you today. Not to mention meeting your beautiful babies! Hope to see you again in the future (hopefully at another race)! =)

Unknown said...

Super speedy! :)