Friday, December 30, 2011

2012 To Do List ...

I am goal-oriented. When I decide that I want to do something, I find a way to make it happen. Yes, there are roadblocks at times. And yes, sometimes my timelines don't work out. But, it is extremely rare for me to set out to do something and NEVER accomplish it. I'm just not a quitter. It's not in my nature.

With that said, I am not feeling 100% focused right now. I feel like other than knowing that I will finish my first 70.3, the rest of the things that I'd like to tackle are kind of vague. Or maybe I'm just not sure what steps I need to take to get there. Either way, I've decided to approach my goals a little differently than I have in the past. More of a to do list. Something that I can add and subtract to as my vision changes.

So, as of today, December 30th, here is my 2012 To Do List:

Fitness:
  • Take 70.3 training day by day. Don't get caught up in what is coming, but rather focus on what is. Trust that it will get you where you want to be.
  • Find the strength to NOT add races to your schedule during 70.3 training. That is your focus, don't screw with that because of FOMO (fear of missing out).
  • Cross the finish line of your first 70.3 in less than 6:57:59.
  • Maintain at least one day of cycling and one day of swimming per week, post 70.3. Give J some proof that a new road bike would be a good investment.
  • Run 1,500 miles.
  • Race a 10K with a finish time much faster than your very dated current PR of 53:17.
  • Set a new PR in the Half Marathon, currently 1:57:06 (or 1:56:18, if the half split from the NYC Marathon counts).
  • Race a Fall Sprint Triathlon. Actually train for the event, unlike in years past.
Nutrition:
  • Eat like an athlete. Be mindful of the nutritional value of your food.
  • Consume no more than 18 desserts from either Shyndigz or Two Sweet Cupcakes (approximately 1 dessert/3 weeks)
  • Cut out snacking on the girl's leftovers. Just because they don't eat it, doesn't mean you have to.
Personal:
  • Only say yes to the projects you REALLY want to work on.
  • Throw away the credit cards. Stop repeating history.
  • Ignore your impulses. Take time to process the true value of the things you are filling your space/life with.
  • Declutter and Organize using this calendar.
  • Continue to balance family life, training and now, work.
  • Prioritize and be a good example for the people in your life.
  • Help and support J and the kids in reaching their goals. We are a team and that must always be the primary focus of our lives.

22 comments:

Hannah said...

Tonia, I love it. Your 2012 list is really fantastic. I have to be very very careful of FOMO, too.

Also, thank you so much for posting that calendar! It is awesome. I am all over that.

2012 will be an awesome year for you, your husband, and your three little girls. You will have an awesome experience in your 70.3. You rock.

Michelle said...

I love this list! I'm not a resolution person. I figure if you have to wait until January 1st to start it, it must not be a priority. Rather, I like the idea of goals that evolve.
Stay focused during 70.3 training! Plus, I think you have a running wife who would love some company in the pool! Hee, hee.
You are a great example to so many of us. Can't wait to meet you in the future! These are all of the things that make us Tough Chiks!

Karen said...

Love this list! Thanks for the link to the calendar, I think that is something I could definitely use. It reminds me of this cleaning calendar I saw where you do one thing a day in terms of cleaning but it actually keeps your whole class dusted, mopped, vacuumed. (need to find that link...).

The FOMO thing is huge! I hear about all the races my friends are doing and have instant race envy or try to convince myself that I can work it in to the schedule. Too many things to choose from!

Zaneta @ Runner's Luck said...

LOVE this post!! :) Sounds like 2012 is going to be a great year for you!!! I love that calendar too!! :)

Nicole said...

Love the list, I think it sounds great! Thank you for the declutter calendar, I am goin to give that bad boy a go!

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

Great lists!

Jason said...

great goals. It'l be fun to see you cross them off the list as 2012 progresses.

Ask lots of questions regarding the 70.3 distance as well. Lean on others who have done it and learn from them. I did that and the knowledge was invaluable.

Anonymous said...

Sounds very doable. I think your 2012 will be awesome. I'm looking forward to posting my 2012 list on Monday!

Katie said...

That Calendar is great!! Thanks for the link.

Kayla said...

That is a great list, Tonia!!! I hope 2012 turns out to be a great year for you!!

The Jesse said...

Great list! Thanks for sharing that de-cluttering calendar. I really want to work on the clutter in my house next year and now I have a guideline :)

abbi said...

That calendar...oh my goodness, I am in love and it is printed! Sorry...didn't mean to get side-tracked, I am sure you will have a rockin' 2012 and am ready to read all about it!

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

I really like that calendar.

So about your 70.3. Why such a random, specific time to beat? Is 6:57:59 someone else's time that you wanna beat?

Run with Jess said...

Great goals! Love your attitude about all of it. I feel so similar about the new year...

Running Backwards in High Heels said...

Yep. This list rocks!! Working on my list as well...

Aimee said...

Your list for 2012 is awesome! AND, I love that calendar...I am totally going to print it out!

Melissa said...

I like the idea of a to do list rather than "goals". It seems more manageable when you put it like that. I am going to try to look at mine like that. Thanks for the calendar link. It's great!

5 Miles Past Empty said...

You got this! for sure!! First of all-your goal of 70.3 under 7 hrs is completely doable! I am certain!!

I love all your goals! They seem realistic and focused. I have a similar 13.1 goal. I can't seem to break my 1:55. but 2012 is the year! Right?

I think on my list will be to make it up there to join you for a race!! Maybe the sprint in the fall!!! That would be awesome! And maybe you could come here for one! There is one in Roxborro NC which is near the Inner Banks, it probably wouldn't be too far for you!!! So can we add that to your goals??? Your sub-goals? =)

Jessica said...

LOVE your list!! Also love your goal of paying attention to the nutritional value of what you eat....that's a tough but AWESOME one!!

Anonymous said...

Great goals you have there!! I just saw that organization calendar as well and I must try that.

Marlene said...

Rockin' goals for 2012 - can't wait to watch you crush all of them!

Unknown said...

They will absorb the shock and stop you once you put them on. But you'll find out that they are a bit heavy! No matter what type of shoes you choose, Canvas Sneakers or fashion women's shoes, you need to consider is a comfort.

What kind of shoes will comfort you most? I think a lot of people may think slippers first. They will make you relax once you wear them, if this is in winter, what you want to get more from the slippers are warmth. One of the deciding factors on the warm of brown monkey slippers for men is the materials.