Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thanksgiving cuteness ...

Earlier today, Dizzle's preschool held their Thanksgiving Feast, with an abundance of food provided potluck-style by the families of the co-op. I got my fill of turkey and cranberry sandwiches and two slices of pumpkin pie (one was for J, but I "forgot" he doesn't eat it). It was fantastic, and after eating it, I lost all guilt about having our non-traditional Thanksgiving at Maggiano's.

But the best moment of the celebration came when Dizzle and her classmates marched into the room and performed two Thanksgiving songs. It was beyond cute. And the second they opened their little mouths, I started tearing up. How is it that my little baby is old enough to sing her heart out on stage?

Seriously, I always used to think my mom was crazy for getting all choked up when we did what to us seemed ordinary. But, now I realize that once you're a mom, you can't fight it. It's the overwhelming sense of pride in your child that kicks your tear ducts into overdrive. It's pointless to fight it. And for that I'm thankful ...

2 comments:

Earth Momma Mer said...

OK - THANK goodness. I am with you on the tear duct leakage. I about lost it when Simon's big cheesy smile started showing the second they all came out. It was beyond cute. It was adorable, wonderful, magical and just plain old amazing. Go ACP!!!

gba_gf said...

I remember completely breaking down at C's first Christmas pageant at preschool. I thought it was because I'd just given birth... then the mother's day song got me again... and I realized that I too have grown up to be just like my mother. How odd.

But, I agree, it is one of the most wonderful moments in a mother's life when she realizes that her baby is able to get up and show off with a little song about nothing. ~sniff~