Thursday, September 10, 2009

sisterly love ...

Last night, we attempted Dizzle's first sleepover. She didn't quite make it through the night, but she had fun and even regretted coming home just minutes after getting back. I really think that had she been willing to talk to me before coming home, she probably would have stayed. But, you know those four year olds, always thinking they know best.

But this failed attempt at a sleepover did teach us some things. First, four years old may be too young to sleep in an unfamiliar place without your mom and dad. Second, you should always tell the host parent any important information about your child that you may regret not mentioning later. For us, it was that Dizzle CANNOT take a bath with bubbles or bar soap. It's an instant ticket to a UTI, which we found out this morning. And third, I finally learned how much my girls love each other.

Usually, Dizzle and Doodle are at each other's throats, in an endearing, you're my best friend kind of way (if that's even possible). But, yesterday, when we dropped off Dizzle, I got to witness how Doodle really feels about her. After a mini tantrum of cupcake throwing (don't ask), I got Doodle in the car and she instantly broke into tears. I asked her what was wrong and she just kept repeating, "I need Dizzle. I need her." It broke my heart. So, in an attempt to get her to calm down, I let Doodle call Dizzle, at which point she repeatedly told Dizzle that she "needed her." (In my wildest dreams, Dizzle was responding with, "I need you too!", but let's be honest, that's highly unlikely.) Anyway, Doodle told Dizzle she loved her, that she would see her in the morning and hung up the phone. Doodle was still crying. And I was too, because for the first time I really understood how lucky they are to have each other.

No comments: