Thursday, August 4, 2011

Three Things Thursday ...

Speed - Ever since returning to running (June 1) after my surgery, I have been focused on slowly building my mileage. I've skipped all forms of speedwork, despite the fact that the posse holds weekly hill repeat sessions. Part of me felt like a slacker. And the other part of me knew that I couldn't build my distance and speed at the same time (and neither should you).

Anyway, I vowed to add the speedwork back into my schedule once the San Francisco Half was out of the way. And that's exactly what I did. Last night, I hit the treadmill for 800m repeats ...

(This is how you dress to run repeats on your treadmill when no one is going to see you, right?)

After a quick warmup, I did 6 x 800m @ 7:30 @ 0% incline (equals 7:49 pace on the road/track) with a 400m jog in between. By the last one, I was definitely spent but I felt strong. And if we are being honest here, I was more concerned for my treadmill than for me. I'm pretty sure he's on his last leg. Boo!

And then this morning, after a full 9 hour rest, I met the posse for hill repeats. 1.5 mile warmup, 7 repeats (.13 mile) @ 10K pace (splits: 0:58, 0:59, 0:59, 0:58, 0:59, 0:59, 0:57), 1 mile cooldown. Basically, I am a human metronome. Be jealous.

Speedwork, you've got nothing on me ...

Running Skirts - In case you missed it, on Monday, I posted my latest raffle to raise funds for Grassroot Soccer (My NYC Marathon Charity Team). The winner will take home a COMPLETE OUTFIT from Running Skirts. Shirt. Skirt. Socks. Gear Bag. Winner takes all.

All you need to do is make a donation HERE. For every $5 you donate, you get one entry. All of the details can be found HERE. And as an extra incentive to donate, if you make a contribution TODAY, I will give you five (5) bonus entries. So what are you waiting for?

Nuun - As you know, I am running Hood to Coast later this month with Nuun Platuun. The lovely Kerrie T. made our team this sweet logo ...

Basically, I am in love.

And if you'd love to try Nuun, here's your chance. From now until September 30th, you can save 25% on your order from Nuun HERE. Just use the code "nuunplatuun" at checkout.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're awesome! Way to kill those splits!

Anonymous said...

I just donated $10 and left a $1 "tip!

Great job on your speed and hills!

Running Ricig said...

hahah, I think yesterday was officially 800s day! Awesome job!

Unknown said...

So, that's what hill repeats are supposed to look like. Nice.

Jesser said...

Great logo and I <3 Nuuuun! especially grape. That outfit is way cuter than what I wear when it's just me and the 'mill ... I usually suit up in just a sports bra and skirt. ;P Too hot otherwise!!

Anonymous said...

I do speed workouts on Tuesdays. I usually do 1mi repeats (4x) or 800m repeats (6x). This past Tuesday I did 2x2mi repeats and that kicked my butt. Thursdays I do tempo runs. I hope all this speed work actually pays off!

Tricia said...

Go Nuun Platuun!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

I have yet to successfully get my new treadmill. I am dying without one. My long runs are...not! I am praying to get it picked up this week. Nice job on the treadmill speed work and hitting the road again in the morning.

I'm balancing the checkbook today. Hopefully I can send a little $ your way.

Your Nuun experience is envy inducing.

Geodess said...

I left a 10 donation! A great cause, a great reason to sweat. How could you not support that!

Chris @ Heavy Steps said...

I did hills today. It was killer but fun! Glad you are rocking the speed work with your posse. Have a great day!

Unknown said...

Great job on the speedwork. The logo looks great. The team is going to be such a great experience; I am admittedly envious.

kimert said...

Sweet logo!!!
Great job on the speedwork.

Marlene said...

Jeez, you even match when nobody is around to see you! Hope the treadmill holds up.

Nice work on the 800s & hill repeats. BEAST!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Good work on the Speed.

Thanks for the reminder to donate.. I keep meaning to and now is a GOOD TIME to do so :)

You are so funny!!

Ann ~ Sporty Girl Jewelry said...

So glad I'm not the only one who dresses cute for my dates with the 'mill. :) I have to admit I have never done speedwork. It terrifies me. Good for you!

Amanda@runninghood said...

Great job getting back to the speed girl! Must feel good! And I love the team sign then. Good job Kerrie! I so wish I would have applied for the Nuun team but I'll be there so I hope to meet some of you at the beach! I still haven't even met my teammates and I don't even remember my leg. Yikes...I better get on that. Happy Thursday!

MCM Mama said...

Hmm, when I run on the treadmill, it's in just a running bra and shorts and I still usually manage to clash...

Great job on the speedwork!

Unknown said...

Yay for speed work... you are super consistent! :)

And I love that Nuun logo!

Keri said...

I am working on building my mileage too!

btw- I have been meaning to mention your Runner's World appearance! LOVED it. Great pics :)