I'm a planner. I like to know what I am working towards at every possible moment, even if that only means improving who I am today compared to who I was yesterday. It can be stressful at times (since spontaneity doesn't sit well with me), but my methods work for me. And I can honestly say, that if my life stayed exactly how it is right now, that would be OK with me.
I can say this because I am truly happy with who I am and what I have accomplished. I have three beautiful children, a loving husband and very close relationships with my mother and sisters. I have found my passion. I have transformed myself into the person I wanted to be. I am driven and focused. I strive to give my all everyday.
With that said, I don't expect my life to stay as it is. It will evolve. I will evolve. And being 28 for one whole day has given me the time and maturity to ponder my life goals.
Here are my top three:
1. Develop a career that centers around women of all ages and running - I have a multitude of ideas on where I would like this to go and I'm not sure that I have found the one that suits me (or the life I want for my family) best. But I will. And when I have more time to focus on work (read: when I'm spending less time raising children) I will put my plan into action. It might not be this year, or even this decade. But hey, I've got time. I'm only 28.
2. Travel to Australia - This is the one place in the world that I have always wanted to visit (and now I want to run there). J and I are totally on the same page about this one. It's his dream destination as well and we want more than anything to experience it with our children. And we will. When they are old enough to appreciate and remember it.
3. Run a race with my husband, my children, my sisters and my mom - Finishing a race and accomplishing something you didn't think or know that you could is an amazing experience. It's an experience I want to share with the people I love. I want to stand in the starting corral with them and be there as they finish. I want them to understand why I love running so much. (Maybe they will all read this and be motivated to reach this goal with me. Pretty pretty please with cherries on top ...)
So, what do you want to accomplish?
1. I want to write a book and have it published.
2. I want to travel to Ireland and possibly run in the Dublin Marathon.
3. I want to have a career that I am excited about and enjoy every day. Something that makes a difference in the world.
Thanks for your post. It's funny, I got all teary reading it, even though it's exactly what I wanted to do, to know I have someone who would offer to do it for me.... anyway, all teary, makes me not think clearly.
1) Have a career with flexible enough schedule that I can still run. Preferably one that makes enough money that I can go somewhere cool like France to run a marathon. (mel, my kids are trying to talk me into an ireland trip in 2014, incase you can wait 4 years)
2) Finish school. See above goal.
3) Not Change TOO Much while I do the first 2 goals. that sounds silly, but I have been so caught up in transforming myself the last 2 years, that I'm sort of at a place I like. I want to stay here. For one of the first times in my life I think, "I like me, I would like to be friends with me. I'm OK."
1) I want to move, I don't really care where but I know I want to be somewhere other than Oklahoma.
2) I want to run a marathon, preferably a really cool one with lots of people.
3) I want to go to Europe, you can pretty much pick a country there and I want to go. There is so much culture that I want to experience.
Great list - so inspiring!
It's hard for me to narrow it down to a 'top 3' but here are a couple goals:
-travel the world and run marathons in many different countries (best way to explore a new place)
-become a Mom and share my life with child(ren) and the hubs
Those are great goals and I have no doubt you will acheive all of them and then some! Cheers to 28!
Want is the word I am getting stuck on. I am so happy with my life as it is BUT it will not continue that way and I know it. So to say that I want it to change is untrue so maybe I can say I want to reach a point that I can want my life to change. If I think about it as evolving and not so much changing that might help.
I want to overcome fear that keeps me from doing some things in my life.
I want to trust and relay on those I love more.
I want to be able to share my love of running and fitness and nature with those who I love.
I could go on and on...maybe a post is in order.
I am the same way! I love to plan things, love to make lists, etc. It makes me happy and keeps me on track. :) The only thing on my mind right now is completing my first half in May. I am hoping my injurh heals quickly and I can get back to it right away. Once I am done with that, I will be able to give other things some thought. :)
i want to complete my first 5k this spring...thank you for all of your inspiration! you are awesome!
This is great, TMB! I am happy with my life right now, too. Running definitely has something to do with that.
But, unlike you, I'm feeling confused about "what I want to be when I grow up" (and I'm going to be 33 this year!). For so long, I wanted to be an AUTHOR and now I'm wondering if I REALLY want that because I haven't put nearly the amount of time into it as I have into running. (Hmmm, maybe I need to post about this.) I'm getting to the point where I'm sort of ready to stop reinventing myself, I guess. I'm happy where I'm at. Why keep striving to do something that's making me not feel good enough?
OK. That was sort of heavy for a comment, but it just goes to show you how good of a post this was -- really got me thinking. Thanks!
well this sure made me think!!
I love your goals and I wish you the best in meeting them.
1. I want to have a glass blowing and ceramics studio again. I used to blow glass and I loved it. I want to do that again as soon as possible.
2. I want to travel. I could go on and on but I want to see more of the world. I would love to take my boys traveling.
3. I would love to run races in different countries.
Thanks for bringing this up!
I love your blog header. I posted about my 3 "bucket list" items recently. Here is my link.
You sound so content. That is truly awesome.
I have raced with my family a lot especially my daughter. It is truly wonderful!
Love your list!
I too want a 2nd career that centers around something I love, but haven't quite found it yet.
I want to see my boys grow up into responsible, happy adults.
I want to grow old with my hubby, traveling around and doing whatever sounds fun.
I'm a bit older, so we've travelled to many of the places I'd like to see and done many of the specific things I've wanted to do. Now I'm in the "enjoy life as it comes at me" stage.
I want a career that allows me time for family and running.
I want to always enjoy my running as much as I do now.
Thanks for a great post!
This was a great post...I love your list!
Myself, I am totally where I want to be in my life and loving it! I'm almost twice your age and have certainly come a long way :)
Hi! Writing to let you know that you won the coveted red Olympic mittens!!! Email me your addy at tobethewholepackage at gmail dot com!
Ahh-I missed your birthday! Happy happy birthday! Oh-to be 28 again-I'm feeling a little old!!! Good list-makes me ponder what I want to accomplish and also makes me realize I apparently have no goals or aspirations!! Better get to work!!!
Great list! I am a planner as well, so I completely understand the goals! Mine are more short term...
1. To raise a respectful young man who realizes that he can accomplish anything he sets his mind to. That hard work is rewarded.
2. To be able to run 8.5 minute miles by the end of the year.
I am a planner also and like to have all my ducks in a row before I start my day so I know how it unfolds. Still, I need to make changes and get things accomplished before I exit this world (I blogged about that, too) and tops of my list is to make a change in my career. I like a few aspects of my current job but not enough to wow me. I'm trying to get onboard with this and be proactive but with the economy the way it is, it will take time. Still, I cannot give up and I need to remain positive. Happy Tuesday!
I find you so inspiring. What a great group of strong and determined women I have been so lucky to meet!
I love coaching, but I am scared if I get paid to do it, it will become a job...right now the passion I find is in just doing it because I love it!
To reach one person at a time - to see someone reach a goal - it's the greatest feeling.
To be the best me I can be...
To run a marathon overseas, secretly my goal is London but my hub doesn't know yet! I will be sneaky.
To compete in the Tough Guy UK Challenge in 2011...http://www.toughguy.co.uk/
Post a Comment