Sunday, September 7, 2008

rain, racing and chipotle ...

I would just like to start by saying a BIG thank you to Tropical Storm Hanna for providing me with the conditions (read: few competitors) to walk away with hardware from my first race ever (and probably last).

So, in case you haven't heard, yesterday's 5K was pretty awesome (even if we were drenched).

It was an all-around family affair, one that I hope to continue to repeat for years to come. Dizzle took part in her first "race" (if you want to call the Kid's Run, a race), completing three laps of the gym before announcing that she was, "too tired to run." It was so cute and it really made me excited for the first time we can run side by side during a race (plus pushing her in the stroller is getting kind of old. And the thought of pushing three is really scary.)

J ran in his first race since May. And although he wasn't happy with his time or the fact that his "moisture-wicking" shirt weighed about 10 lbs by the end of the race (despite ringing it out while running), he had fun. And really, how could you not? The fact that we actually rain during a tropical storm was kind of funny in itself.

So, I'm sure you figured it out by now that if J ran, I had to push both kids in the stroller. Luckily, I somehow convinced K and G that racing with me would be a good idea. And since they are such amazing friends, they both offered to push for me (not that I'd actually let them.)

Anyway, long story short, it was wet. K and I ran the whole race together. G dropped back about two miles in and J came in shortly after her. And somehow (again, thank you Hanna), I finished second in the stroller division and K and I went one-two in our age group!! Woo-hoo!!

Plus, by coming in second I got an awesome prize. A silver medal AND dinner for four at Chipotle (burritos, chips, guac and drinks). So awesome, right? What pregnant woman doesn't love 1500 calorie burritos? I know I do.

No comments: