Monday, May 16, 2011

revelations of inactivity ....

I am not big on asking for help.

I firmly believe that if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.

I hate feeling inadequate.

I know that any limits I have are self-imposed.

This shoulder injury is cramping my style. It's forcing me to let go of some of those things. It's making me accept that, right now, some of my limits are imposed by a sling and not by my mental state. It has me begging for help and shunning it at the same time. Regardless though, I am trying to stay positive about this whole situation. And I am starting to see how there are some benefits to this whole surgery thing, like ...
  • That ginormous bump (a.k.a dislodged clavicle) is gone. Just look at these pictures. It's like the crash never even happened.
  • I can do a lot for myself. I am able to dress and feed myself, albeit time-consuming and painful.
  • I don't have to do a lot of things that I hate, including but not limited to, diaper changing, washing dishes, cooking and taking out the trash.
  • People let me "rest" whenever I feel it necessary.
  • The lack of hunger and cycles of vomiting have gotten me to my racing weight. Too bad I'm not racing anytime soon ...
  • I know for sure that J loves me unconditionally, even if I'm hairy and stinky. Knowing that I can not shower or shave effectively, he told me to "give it up and let my inner hippie out."
  • Not training has allowed me to contemplate how I "want to" train. And I really want that 70.3.
Recovery is tough. And it's going to be a long road. But, I'll get there.

27 comments:

MCM Mama said...

Keep up the healing, my friend. And J's a good man - love the hippie comment! Just wish I was closer and could join the 'watch the kids and feed the family' brigade...

Jen said...

Yay for your right attitude. I wish I had an excuse not to shave or shower. Last night I went to bed and never showered after my run. And this morning, my first thought was... why shower now, you will be swimming in like an hour.

Rachel said...

Just stay positive!! It is tough to ask for help, but this is one of those times when you have to. Here's hoping to a speedy recovery!

Running Ricig said...

You've definitely found a bright side! And how sweet is J? :)

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

LOL...inner hippie...

ltlindian said...

You'll get better faster than you think. Enjoy the down time and let others help you.

Love the Boston hat! :D

Jesser said...

You work dang hard ... I say MILK IT!!

Michelle said...

Sending healing thoughts your way! Glad that huge bump is gone!

fancy nancy said...

I feel your pain with not feeling comfortable with not being able to do things. Take the time to rest sounds great in theory! You seem to have a great attitude about it all!

Sarah K said...

Your last bullet was me during my third trimester. I think I memorized the summer race schedule because I wanted to run again so badly. Absence really does make the heart grow fonder! Rest up and get well soon :-D

S Club Mama said...

awww let your inner hippie out...that's so super sweet! :)

SupermomE13 said...

LOL... every SINGLE one of those Red sentence are something I could have said too about myself. LOL
Embrace the hippie and enjoy the forced rest while you can. It won't last long. :)

CupCake@ Bigger Girls Can Run Too said...

I love the positive attitude! Keep it up and get better soon!

Run with Jess said...

Hang in there! You look great though - but that the big smile shining through!

Runners Fuel said...

Looks so much better! You're getting there!

Katie said...

it feels long now but i promise you will start seeing improvement in HUGE leaps and bounds and you'll be back before you know it. PROMISE.

Stefanie D. said...

I feel for you! It is so hard to accept help from others because it feels like you are being defeated in some way. But you are hurt my friend! Take all the help you can get. :) Sending speedy recovery vibes your way!

Susan Tirch said...

I feel like I'm re living my accident through you. You definitely feel the unconditional love. My husband actually shaved my legs for me. Ha that was hilarious. I'm here to remind you to stay positive and strong. This too shall pass!

Monica said...

I completely understand that some people have a difficult time asking for help but you HAVE to remember that your body has suffered TWO major traumas in the past couple of weeks. Let it heal...so what if the kitchen isn't cleaned just right or the kids clothes don't match... :) REST, REST, REST!!

BigHappyFamily said...

I am doing a mud run this weekend, and this picture of your bumpy shoulder(along with Run Faster Mommy's ankle) is all I can think about. Heal fast.

Go RED SOX... way to sweep the Yanks!

Penny said...

That is awesome that you are staying so positive. Sometimes you just got to be stinky. I would love it if I didnt have to shave my legs everyday.

Unknown said...

WOW!!! You are taking this all very well. I went to Mexico and got really sick so I've was unable to workout for a week and that just pissed me off. I was really sick so I feel some what of your loss - but not your pain. That looks awful! But you have handeled it all very well - like the champion that we all know you are. You are an inpiration and I look forward to reading your blog every morning. It won't be long until you are out there kicking all our butts on milage once again. Seriously, I wish you all the best... a healthy and speedy recovery!!

April said...

Oh my goodness!!! I am soooooo far behind on my blog reading!
Bless your heart, you are the toughest chick ever! I am praying you have a F.A.S.T. recovery!

LisasFitLife said...

I'm your new follower. Wow that looks painful but I love how your smiling in all your pictures! Hope you get well soon. Take care of yourself!

ajh said...

My heart goes out to you for many reasons but mostly for the nausea. No fun at all!

Julie D. said...

so glad your surgery went well!! Nausea is the absolute worst...I would rather deal with just about anything else. so glad that is better. Hang in there!! You are through the worst. It is only UP from here!!

Marlene said...

Oh WOW, that surgeon did some nice work! You'll be good as new (or better) in no time.