Friday, May 20, 2011

a snapshot at six ...

Dizzle at one week old

Dizzle at six
Dear Dizzle,

When you were born, I don't think I could have imagined what you would be like on your sixth birthday. Sure, I had my dreams for you, but that's all they were - dreams. I knew that no matter how hard I tried, there was no way that you would grow to be exactly like the picture that I had in my head. I could never force you to be the way I wanted. All I could do was guide you to the best of my ability. To show you the differences between wrong and right. To try my hardest to help you grow up to be a good person. Everything else, well, that was up to you.

I couldn't force you to like pickles. Or beans. I couldn't make you passionate about anything you didn't want to be passionate about. It's been my job to believe in you. To encourage you. And to love you endlessly.

Over the past six years, you've grown and matured. And I'd like to think that I have grown and matured, as well. As my oldest, you are always subject to my parenting mistakes, and I am sorry for that. I hope that in the end, you are stronger for it. Dizzle, we've had our moments, both good and bad. We've laughed. We've cried. We've danced with underwear on our heads. And I've loved every second. I know that years from now, I won't be able to remember all the little things you do. So, today, on your sixth birthday, my gift to you is a snapshot of you in this very moment ...

1. You are extremely artistic. You have an immense love of drawing and painting. Our home is full of your artwork. I am confident that if I kept everything you created, I could wallpaper our entire house.

2. You are bold, forward and opinionated. You are not afraid to make your beliefs known. To anyone that will listen.

3. You, my child, are no wallflower. Full of confidence, you believe you can do anything. And so do I.

4. You were born to be a runner. You have perfect form and better endurance than most adults. I just hope that you can find a love for it as well.

5. You are, and have always been, independent. You've never been one to need a hand-holding. You *think* you can do everything yourself, even when I know better.

6. You love all things girly. As long as you can get them muddy. Dizzle, you are a tomboy who wants to look like a princess. And I love that about you.

7. You are extremely stubborn. Or strong-willed. Whatever you want to call it. I am exactly the same way. Because of this, we butt heads more often than I would like. You need to realize that I have much more life experience than you. And I need you realize that you are getting old enough to start making some decisions. Small decisions.

8. You are the bravest wimp that I know. Bugs and water freak you out, but with a little coaxing you will ride the biggest roller coasters around. I want you to know that you should drop the wimp act. No one is buying it.

9. You are an incredibly loving child. Affectionate and kind, people are drawn to you. Stay that way. You'll have amazing personal connections because of it.

10. You hate pickles on your cheeseburgers and will dip anything in ranch dressing.

11. You almost never stop talking or moving. It can be rather irritating at times, but I promise you that if you remain productive, I will never try to stifle you.

12. You have a wicked long attention span, as long as you are interested in the topic at hand. Otherwise, you seem to be easily distracted.

13. You are very intelligent. Perhaps too intelligent for your own good. I often feel that you are not challenged enough and so you become lazy. Don't let that happen. Stop assuming that you know everything and trust that in every experience you can learn something.

Dizzle, you are an amazing individual and I feel lucky to be your mother. Happy Birthday!

Love,
Mom

23 comments:

Sarah K said...

Aw! Happy birthday, little girl!

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

Happy Birthday Princess!

Anabela (Bela) Neves said...

Happy birthday Dizzle! Wow she sounds so much like my daughter and what a mini-me of you....LOL

Rene' said...

happy happy Dizzle!

Michelle said...

So sweet! Happy Birthday!

Running Ricig said...

I love these!!! Happy birthday to Dizzle!

Marlene said...

What an awesome tribute for an awesome little girl. Happy Birthday Dizzle!

Andi Fitz said...

She looked so cute in her knee high running socks! Like a mini you. Happy Birthday to her! I can't wait to put my little guy in a race! I can tell he'll love it! Thanks for adding me to your blogroll. (runlearnrepeat.com)

kimert said...

I love this post. So very sweet! Happy Birthday to your beautiful girl!

jamie@sweatyhugs said...

Awesome post! Happy Birthday Dizzle! You rock!

Zoƫ said...

Have a great birthday, sweet Dizzle!

Run with Jess said...

This made me cry! Happy Birthday! Hope your fam has a wonderful day celebrating.

giraffy said...

<3 these. Your #1 sounds just like my #1. Happy Birthday!

Stacie said...

Happy Birthday Dizzle!!!!

christa said...

Happy Birthday Dizzle! Love the letter, Do you do that for each every year? What a gift for them later on!!

SupermomE13 said...

Happy birthday Dizzle! I Hope you have a very special day. :)

Jen said...

Super sweet! Yes, I cried!

Anonymous said...

I love these notes you write to your kids. I bet some day when they look back and read these, they will be so honored you took the time to do this.

Happy Birthday, Dizzle!

Melissa said...

That is such a sweet post! Happy Birthday Dizzle!

Julie D. said...

Happy Birthday, Dizzle. What an amazing little girl...and mom!!

Unknown said...

Ahhh - happy b-day Dizzle!

Rhubarb said...

She sounds so much like my daughter. So wonderful that you wrote this, it will be a wonderful thing for you to both look back on. Happy birthday Dizzle!

N.D. said...

I love this!! what a sweethearT!