Thursday, April 28, 2011

3TT: things that are sweet edition ...

1. Sugar - Since admitting my EPIC FAIL on Sugar Ban 2011, I have made a complete 180. I've avoided all of the remaining Easter candy and haven't even glimpsed at my "secret" stash. And I'm a tenth of the way through this thing, so, go me!

And really, who cares that J brought home a bunch of candy bars last night and said, "I got these for you, but then I read your blog post."? Yeah, not me. I don't care at all. Those Reece's Peanut Butter Cups aren't yelling my name from the freezer or anything like that. (Honestly, though, I'm not about to fail at this twice. Sugar Detox here I come.)

2. My New Training Plan - I'm in the middle of week two of my "unorthodox" training plan. And it's pretty awesome. To be honest, I LOVE IT. The speed work has been fun. The shorter runs are easier to schedule in my day, which allows me to add 3-4 hours a week on Sleeper. But, only having one rest day is kicking my butt. Well, actually, it's beating up the quads. My legs are never quite "fresh", which I guess is kind of the point.

3. Race Weekend - I am running races (not exactly racing) both days this weekend. On Saturday, I'll be joining Dizzle for her FIRST 5K, where we will be wearing these "i run" shirts from Tough Chik (I have one too).

I'm totally pumped for her. However, I got an email on Tuesday that the event won't be "officially timed." But, someone will be able to tell us our finish time when we are done. What?!?! You'll be able to tell me how fast we ran, but you're not going to record it? Why the heck not? Whatever. We will be Garmin timing Dizzle and I will declare her winner of the 5-9 age group, if I have to.

On Sunday, G and I will be racing Muddy Buddy Richmond, thanks to MCM Mama, who gave us an entry she won. We are 100% unprepared. We don't mountain bike. Or trail run. And until Monday, we didn't even know how long the course was. But, it will be fun. And we have a sweet team name - "Beer and Cupcakes."

31 comments:

Marlene said...

GO YOU on the sugar ban! You are stronger than I.

Good luck to Dizzle on her first 5K and have fun at the Muddy Buddy craziness!!

Carly said...

I am in awe of your sugar ban.
And I love the matching shirts!

Kurt @ Becoming An Ironman said...

If you can avoid Reese's Peanut Butter cups in the freezer, you are my hero! I may be great at avoiding sweets myself, but it's only because I avoid having them on hand. Once they're here, they're toast! Remember the ice cream cake?

The matching t-shirts (and thoughts of upcoming pictures with all the matching racers) are AWESOME!

MCM Mama said...

Your girls are too cute!

Have fun at muddy buddy. I'm still sad I can't be the "beer", but I know you guys will have a blast. Can't wait to see pictures.

Unknown said...

I've tried giving up sugar, but I always fail in some way. Good thing too much of it give me headaches. Moderation is good

Maybe you could have a medal for Dizzle at the end of her race so she can be like mommy.

fancy nancy said...

Great job on your sugar ban!!! You can do this!!!

You girls are SO DARN CUTE!!! I love the matching shirts! Why not time the race? You can totally declare her the winner!!!

Have fun Sunday!

Running Ricig said...

Super cute shirts!

Your sugar ban sounds like you're torturing yourself! All of the candy I don't want to eat I bring to work and it's gone in like a half an hour (I'm not sure who is eating jelly beans for breakfast, but I'm not going to question it).

erindegroff said...

Your little runners are too cute for words :) I am contemplating doing a muddy buddy in June in NY; can't wait for your race report (complete with pics, off course!)

Allison said...

Good luck at Muddy Buddy - that looks really fun. And good luck to Dizzle in her first 5k!

Unknown said...

Great shirts! I'm liking shirts that remind you what you need to do on race day--good choice.

Perfect team name. When I was in college, I did "Mt. Rainier to the Pacific" (Washington's Hood to Coast). Our team name was, "Men with Guts, Women with Butts". Haha!

christa said...

I too am in awe of your sugar ban. So much so that I've declared my own sugar ban, no candy, no baked goods, no icecream starting May 2 (after my half on May 1) and I'm starting with 14 days.
Does chocolate milk count? It's my recovery drink after a long run..
Love the shirts!

Jen said...

I love those shirts! And my quads are feeling it too. But hey... they can only get sexier, right?

And I cannot wait to read your race reports... Go Dizzle and Team B & G!

Katie said...

Sounds like a fun weekend! Enjoy the race with Dizzle!

Unknown said...

Your girls are so cute in those shirts!

You've inspired me to do a sugar detox myself. I've done it before and it's one of the best things for me. I just need to stop going back on it. It's a drug.

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

The Race does look sweet. Not enough info on your obsticles on their site. I have been working on getting Hubbs (or Biking Sherpa since its not really a race) to do a Tough Mudder or Warriors Dash with me. He has gotten a bit more excited about my running adventures since the 50 miler. This will be a great race! You guys will have a blast. Kuddos to MCM Mama for giving up such a cool prize.

I am proud of Dizzle for even attempting a 5k. T you are an amazingly motivating mom!

I knew you'd kick the sugar habit. Did you post your Tri training schedule? I was wondering how you go about fitting all that in since I'm not a swimmer at all, I doubt I'll ever enter that world. Enjoy your weekend!

SupermomE13 said...

LOVE the shirts! And the muddy buddy race sounds way fun. Can't wait to hear about it. :)

Which charity are you running for in NY? I am really considering running for charity because it would be so great to go and run NYC... and my family is there... and I have friends there... and you are going to be there... :)

Becka said...

First 5K is exciting!!!

Beer and cupcakes? Two of my favorite splurges. Yum.

Runners Fuel said...

Love the shirts! Good luck to Dizzle this weekend!

Meredith said...

You've so got the sugar detox kicked in the rear! I'm pretty sure you're stronger than I am and I'm looking day 4 in the face. We've got this!! However, dare I say, between trying to yell at my kids and having no crap in my system yesterday, my tempo run was an epic fail. Wondering if I can blame it on lack of sugary goodness?? :) Have so much fun this weekend!!

Gaspegirl said...

Sounds like you have your weekend fully booked so you won't even realize that you are avoiding sugars :P

Have fun this weekend!

Emily said...

take lots of pictures this weekend! that;s an order not a request.

Running Girl said...

Love those girls shirts! Too cute. And nice work on the sugar ban! You can do it!

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

I'm doing a one week sugar ban and it's tough--you're a strong woman!
Those shirts (and girls!) are adorable!
:)

Silly Girl Running said...

Any race that has 'Muddy Buddy' in it has to be awesome. :) Have fun! :)

ihaverun said...

Good luck Dizzle! Can't wait for the race report.

And give up sugar? I couldn't do it. You are a stronger woman than I am.

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

Best team name EVER. Y'all are gonna have so much fun with that.

ajh said...

Have fun with Dizzle!

Tricia said...

have fun this weekend!

Elizabeth said...

can’t wait to hear about dizzle’s race! and of course the muddy buddy. and of course, if you can barely train for a tri then i think you can easily handle the muddy buddy! have fun!!

kat said...

Love the t-shirts, very cute kid's great team name, good luck with both events, I know you the kid's and G will rock!

Unknown said...

Awesome job with the sugar detox! Keep it up!

And hope both races this weekend went well!