Thursday, August 11, 2011

Three Things Thursday ...

Busch Gardens - Yesterday, I had the crazy idea to take the girls and meet Katye and her family at Busch Gardens. They are visiting for a few days and we didn't have plans, so it worked out quite well. Unfortunately, we only got to spend a short time with them (lunch and a few rides), but we had a blast.

And I only regretted attacking Busch Gardens with a 6, 4 and 2 year old a few thousand times. OK, I'm kidding. Mostly.

Change in Plans - As you may recall, I have been following a modified version of the Hanson Brothers plan from Runner's World. I love this plan, but, and this is a big but, a six day a week schedule leaves little room for flexibility or rest. I started feeling tied to this schedule and I refuse to sacrifice my family life to get my runs in. It just won't happen.

So, I made another slight modification to the plan. I added a rest day by making Tuesdays "double days." Easy run in the morning. Speedwork at night. This means I can still get all my miles in, but I also gain an extra rest day (or the ability to throw in an unscheduled run, if I'd like). Now my plan looks like this ...

Talk about trial and error.

Free Stuff
- Have you entered my wicked awesome Running Skirts raffle to raise funds for Grassroot Soccer (My NYC Marathon Charity Team). The winner will take home a COMPLETE OUTFIT from Running Skirts. Shirt. Skirt. Socks. Gear Bag. Winner takes all.

All you need to do is make a donation HERE. For every $5 you donate, you get one entry. All of the details can be found HERE. And as an extra incentive to donate, if you make a contribution TODAY, I will give you five (5) bonus entries to BOTH the raffle and my Aspaeris Pivot Short Giveaway which ends tonight. So what are you waiting for?

14 comments:

Running Ricig said...

Busch Gardens is so much fun! Youguys look like you had a blast!!

Meggan said...

Just donated! What you are doing is fabulous!

Run with Jess said...

I'm all about flexing with my training plan... sometimes it gets difficult balancing the family and the marathon. I'm with you... the family always wins! :) But I must admit your plan still looks killer!

RunHapi13 said...

Hehe, that schedule sounds vaguely familiar! :-) You do rock T!

Unknown said...

Never been to Busch Gardens, looks like a great day though!!

I started my marathon training with a 6-day schedule and only one rest day, and most weeks I have had to change things around to give my legs an extra day due to life or tiredness...flexibility isn't a bad thing :)

TNTcoach Ken said...

The Hanson's training plan is crazy! Since they're local I get to see their runners doing it......... OUCH!

Marlene said...

I love my Tuesday doubles with speed work in the morning and an easy run later. Have fun and enjoy the extra rest day!

MCM Mama said...

Are you still tri-training as well or is that on a break? Five days a week of running seems to be my max most of the time, although at this point I'd be happy to get to a consistent four days.

Rachel said...

You are going to rock your double days! :) I've never been to Busch Gardens.

Silly Girl Running said...

Training plan still looks killer to me! Another PR? Heck yeah, sure about that! :)

Katie said...

I love colored spreadsheets. that is all.

CupCake@ Bigger Girls Can Run Too said...

Donated another $10 for you! Hope you make your goal!!

Laurie said...

I love the color coding of your training plan :) Makes me excel happy, lol

Cassy said...

Great photos of yours and the kids.

Cassy from Guitar Made Easy