Monday, August 15, 2011

5,013 ...

Four years ago this week, I started running. At the time, I didn't really know what to expect.

I hated to run.
I NEVER finished the timed mile in high school.
I faked illness to get out of any run longer than 800 meters.

But, for some crazy reason, when I was eight months pregnant with Doodle, I set a goal to run a 10K by the end of the year. Yet, by the beginning of August, I still couldn't run a mile without stopping. The possibility of a 10K seemed very slim.

Then, a few of my friends decided to run a 5K as a team. I signed on, figuring I had to bite the bullet if I was ever going to make my goal. And so it began. They all trained together. I trained alone - just in case I failed.

The weeks passed (six to be exact) and on the last Saturday in September, I ran my first 5K. It was the first time I ever ran 3 miles without stopping. It was the most glorious and maybe most painful (aside from childbirth) 31 minutes of my life. I knew I wasn't done with running after that 5K and my goal of a 10K by the end of the year became a half marathon in March. That half marathon never happened though, instead I switched to the full, because I either "Go Big or Go Home."

Now, four years later, I laugh at my stupidity. Who starts training for a marathon only two months after their first 5K? It was a bad idea. I got injured. I was mentally defeated during the race. I kind of wish I had done it differently. But, I can't take it back, I can only adapt how I train now and marvel at how far I have come in the last four years.

Yesterday morning, I ran my 5,013th mile since becoming a runner in 2007. Over those 5,013 miles, I have ...
  • made and lost friends.
  • found my "running style" (skirts and socks, obviously ...)
  • had two running injuries (the same thing both times)
  • determined that I am a runner first, logical thinker second.
  • run through an entire pregnancy, including a 10K race at 35 weeks and 8 miles two days before delivery.
  • completed 4 marathons, cutting my time by 51 minutes.
  • completed 11 half marathons, cutting my time by 41 minutes.
  • won my division at a four miler.
  • placed third in my division at a sprint triathlon, despite not biking or swimming for two year prior to the race.
  • I crashed my bike at Muddy Buddy and had a total AC Separation.
  • convinced J to run his first, second and now third half marathon.
  • paced Dizzle in her first 5K, a month before her sixth birthday.
  • held hands with Doodle as she crossed the finish line of her first race at age three.
  • been featured in Runner's World.
  • found my passion.
  • become certified as a running coach.
  • pushed myself and all the limits I thought I had.
  • changed myself both inside and out.
Here's to the next 5,000 miles ...

33 comments:

Margie said...

Wow, what a list! I've been running longer than you, but not nearly as seriously. You definitely inspire me to find the time in the schedule to meet my goals, both running and otherwise. I bet another 5,000 miles will take you, oh, about 2 years, right?

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is so amazing and inspiring, and definitely something to be very proud of! I have been running for about a year now (I'm a former running-hater too), and I'm training for my first full marathon. I'm nervous but excited all at the same time because this is definitely something I NEVER thought I'd be doing. I hope to be half as accomplished as you in another 3 years!!

Marisa @ The Pace of my Life said...

That is quite the list. Very inspiring!

Anonymous said...

As you say, awesomesauce. Congrats on an amazing journey!

Katie said...

I love this tale....congratulations! can't wait to see what comes next!

Holly said...

Thanks for the trackback to your old preggo 10K post. Nice!

Great post. Thanks for the read.

Marlene said...

It blows my mind how far you have come. 5000 miles and some incredible "mile"stones along the way. Congrats!! Here's to the next 5000 indeed!

Meredith said...

This is a pretty awesome list too! :)

In the words of G (and you) .. you are GBA. Definitely. :)

ajh said...

Congrats on the miles! I have never added mine all up. I should do that. Can't wait until all of your family is in a race together!

Run with Jess said...

You rock! I hope you are feeling very proud of yourself... because you should!! It's so important to look back and see how far you've come (especially for us late-in-life runners!)

kimert said...

Inspiring. You are amazing!

Running Ricig said...

You are awesome! If I ever get pregnant, I totally want to be as bada** as you and run through it!

Kurt @ Becoming An Ironman said...

Here's to another 5,013 miles! Maybe do it in three years this time. =P

MCM Mama said...

Congratulations! You've come a long ways, baby!

Margot (fasterbunnyblog) said...

woo hoo! here's to more miles :)

TNTcoach Ken said...

HA, isn't it funny how we all started dumb as rocks???? Get job!

Rachel said...

Yep. Total awesome-sauce. I am thinking of running the RNR D.C. in March.. are you considering it? I won't be able to make Disney this year.. Boo. :)

Johann said...

Great! All the best with the next 5000! Keep it going!

SupermomE13 said...

Awesome!!!! What a great list. I have no doubt you'll keep adding to it with accomplishments. ;)

Runners Fuel said...

Congrats!! Happy running anniversary!

Canadian Runner in New York said...

I am 5 months in to running, and had a terrible run today...seeing this made me think that tomorrow will be better. Thanks for the inspiration!

gba_gf said...

love this. so glad I get to share the miles with you.

Carrie said...

You rock...in so many ways!

Becka said...

Great job T! You continue to motivate me!

Jessica (Pace of Me) said...

W O N D E R F U L!!!! I love this. Congratulations and here's to many many many more miles ahead!!!!

Casey said...

your list gave me chills!! congrats!!

Unknown said...

That is so awesome!

I love hearing about where some of you super runners started. Makes me realize you're still human, and managed to do extraordinary things.

Aimee said...

Look at all you have accomplished!! That is sooo awesome!

Unknown said...

You are amazing! I love the story of how running changed your life... and look at all the happiness it's brought!

Jen said...

Your a total rockstar.

Cory Reese said...

Congrats - I award you best post of the day! I love this list. How awesome to look back and see how running has changed you.

XLMIC said...

You are amazing! And driven :)

BranDee @ Kickin up dirt said...

SWEET! Love reading this as I just started running again after taking four years off and blogging to keep myself honest...thanks for your inspiration to keep going!