Monday, March 15, 2010

these things come in threes ...

Dear Doodle,
Three years ago today, you entered this world. 7 pounds, 8 ounces of blond-haired, blue-eyed cuteness.Every year since, I have written you a letter on your birthday. One day, I hope you can look back on these messages to you and get a clear picture of who you were, at least through my eyes. There is so much that I want to say to you. Memories I want you to hold close to you heart. Lessons I want you to take with you forever. I've thought long and hard about what I would write here. How to best express my love for you. But I don't think I need to. You know. I tell you everyday through my actions and words. Instead, I have compiled snapshot of you at this moment in time. Maybe it won't be 100 percent accurate in a year, a week or a day. But at this very moment, on your third birthday, it is ...

The THREE things I love the most about you:
1. Your smile. It is infectious ...
2. Your compassion. It shows a maturity beyond your years ...
3. Your love for all things active. You are a natural athlete and I love that we share that characteristic ...

The THREE things I don't love so much about you:
1. Your temper. I have never seen such a fiery individual. You are quick to overreact and let a situation escalate. You get that from your father. Maybe you could turn this fire into passion ...
2. Your lack of volume control. You either scream at the top of your lungs. Or mumble. Both are horrible to deal with. Let's find a middle ground ...
3. Your stubborn nature. Just like your temper, you have more hardheadedness than anyone should have. It's your way or the highway. Unfortunately for you, I am the same exact way and you often lose out. Yet as much as I dislike this quality, I don't want you to drop it. I just hope you can find a way to turn it into determination, which will take you much further ...

The THREE things you could eat forever:
1. Cheese. In all forms ...
2. Frosting. It's the only part of the cake you eat ...
3. Black beans. Yes, you read that right. You've loved them ever since you could feed yourself ...

The THREE things that set you apart from your sisters:
1. Your hair and eyes. Dizzle and Dilly are so similar looking. You are distinctly beautiful ...
2. Your athletic prowess. You are naturally agile and strong ...
3. Your knack for how things work. I wouldn't be shocked if you became an engineer. You break things down just to put them back together. You have a mind for puzzles. It's amazing to watch ...

The THREE funniest things you say on a daily basis:
1. Oopsy daisy.
2. Knock, knock. Who's there? Banana. Banana who? Aren't you glad you didn't open the door?
3. Do the ham and cheese. Do the chicken wing.

The THREE things you give me that I can never get enough of:
1. Kisses (even the slobbery and snotty ones) ...
2. Something to smile about. You constantly make me laugh. And the funniest thing is, I'm usually laughing the hardest when I should really be punishing you ...
3. Reasons to show you my love. Everything you do and say, good and not so good, is just another reason to love you. And NOTHING will ever change that ...

Happy birthday Doodle. Thank you for making my world complete.

Love,
Mommy

24 comments:

Michelle said...

SO sweet! Happy Birthday!

Marlene said...

Very sweet letter and nice idea! Happy 3rd Birthday, Doodle!

Erica said...

oh my god Tonia she is beautiful!!! I love her letter she will cherish it one day! Happy birthday baby, don't they grow way to fast?

Christine Jensen said...

Happy 3rd Birthday to your little girl!

misszippy said...

I love this! She is adorable, btw, and her stubborness reminds me quite a bit of my little girl!

Unknown said...

Aww, too cute. Happy birthday!

Anne said...

Beautiful child and wonderful words. Happy Birthday!

Katie A. said...

Happy Birthday Doodle! You are one lucky little girl :)

Sarah said...

:)Awww happy birthday to your cutie!

Robyn said...

Aww that was the sweetest post ever!

Unknown said...

Sweet. Black beans? Wow!

Happy Birthday, Doodle.

Nicole Joy said...

What an adorable thing for her to look back on :-) You have the sentiment of a scrapbooker. Do you scrapbook?

Judi said...

So sweet! I am so impressed she loves black beans! We eat beans at least once a week - bean day is Mondays at our house! I can't say my kids love them yet! Although they do like kidney beans and garbanzo beans!

Happy 3rd Birthday to your sweet daughter!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and from the heart. Happy birthday Doodle!

kilax said...

What a sweet letter! She will cherish these when she gets older :)

Isn't it amazing how much compassion children have?! :)

ajh said...

What a WONDERFUL letter! And you do this every year. What a treasure that is. And what a cute pic of your daughter.

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful post :)

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Love the honesty in this post. Kids can drive us CRAZY but in all the quiet moments at the end of the day all you can do as a Mom is smile. Happy Birthday little one!

MCM Mama said...

How sweet! Happy birthday to your little Doodle!

Jill said...

How sweet. We wrote a letter to our son and wanted to do that every birthday...we need to do it again...we only have 3 years to catch up on.

Sweet post and I also love the honesty. The good moments are amazing and what we treasure. They can be soooo darn funny. Max is always making me laugh.

Unknown said...

Wonderful Post!!!
Happy Birthday Doodle :)

Anonymous said...

i can't get over those curls! your three girls are so gorgeous! (and i dont say that about everyones kids.)

Jill said...

She is just the most precious thing! Happy Birthday little Doodle!!!

RunKathyRun said...

This is a beautiful post; thanks for sharing.