Thursday, March 18, 2010

Three Things Thursday ...

Welcome to all my new followers! If I haven't stopped by to say hi, leave me a comment letting me know. And now, (drum roll please) it's Three Things Thursday ...

1. Thank you so much for all of your comments, suggestions, resources and everything else after my post on Tuesday. Apparently, I am not the only one battling her children over food. I got a record number of hits on this post and quite a few personal stories via email, which really helped to put the situation into perspective.

I would like to report that immediately after posting Dizzle decided that she was, in fact, hungry. In one sitting, she ate her entire breakfast (which she had walked away from earlier), lunch and half a cupcake. I also spoke to her pediatrician yesterday, who agrees with me that she is displaying control issues (these "battles" are apparent in other aspects of her life as well, the food thing just bothers me the most). Dizzle's doctor told me to keep on doing what I am doing. Which really helped. I trust her opinion and it made me feel like I'm not screwing up my children.

2. I was recently asked how my children got their nicknames. The funny thing is, we don't really call them by the names I use here anymore (although we used to). They have become like blog code names and have lost their real world appeal. I really only use them in my writing because J appreciates the sense of anonymity they provide (I never used to use my name either, but obviously that's no longer the case and if you were to "friend" me on Facebook, you'd know my kids names pretty quickly, too). Anyway, here is how their code names came about.

Dizzle - J used to sing a made up song to her that started, "K-Dizzle, Dizzle ..." At some point the K got dropped and she became Dizzle.

Doodle - As a baby, we called her Mac-a-doodle. That name also got shortened and we were left with Doodle.

Dilly - Each of my children had a nickname when I was pregnant, Dilly's was actually Piccadilly, which was picked in part because it could be shortened to Dilly ...

3. There are some super giveaways going on around the Blogosphere. Including my Training Tag-Alongs Giveaway, where you can win a t-shirt for your favorite little training partner. To enter, click HERE. For all of the other great giveaways, check out my sidebar. Except for the running skirt ones, I really want to win those. So, be nice and don't ruin my chances!

11 comments:

Marlene said...

Cute nicknames, and even cuter with the stories behind them.

Have a great day!

Unknown said...

I think nicknames are fun, especially for little kids. I honestly don't know if I called my nieces and nephews (except for the 19 year old since he is too cool for school) by their given names yet!

institute of lraqi scholars & academician] said...

thanks for your work

Pining for Pinterest said...

Love the nicknames :-)

Katie A. said...

Nicknames are fun - sometimes though, I have trouble remembering which one is Dizzle...or wait, was that Dilly?
Happy Thursday!

misszippy said...

Love the nicknames and the meaning behind them.

Mike Russell said...

It is so smart to preserve that sense of anonymity on your blog. My son's nickname in real life is Haus -- as in the Haus Cartwright on TV. My boy is thick and as gentle as they come...we aren't sure where he got his size, but he got his heart from his Mom.

Melissa said...

lol...I love nicknames. My kids have a ton of them.

ajh said...

Glad your daughter is eating. It is great to have a pediatrician that you love!

Alicia said...

I think you have the best kiddo nicknames in the bloggy world! Very cute and I love that they all have a story.

Michelle said...

Glad you talked to the pedi. Sometimes the extra reassurance is all we need.

Love the nicknames. We have too many for our one child, but he answers to all of them.