Saturday, March 13, 2010

today's run and a Recovery Socks follow-up ...

Thanks for all of your kind comments yesterday. I swear I'm not that fast. It's really the shoes. I cannot slow down in them. Trust me, I was trying. Anyway, I'm still feeling kind of crappy today. Well, actually, let me clarify. I feel fine ... EXCEPT for this wicked cough and slight nasal congestion. And although, pretty much everyone has been telling me to rest, I didn't have a choice. I was scheduled to help lead a 10K training team run and I wasn't about to miss that. Plus, I knew we would be running considerably slower than yesterday, so I figured it would be easier on my lungs (um, yeah, about that).

The group's first five miler was on the schedule today. Here I am just before heading out.

I was with the middle of the pack today, where we averaged 11:45 miles. It wasn't really a good run, but not really a bad one either. I think minus the coughing, it would have been just fine. I was, however, really excited to see everyone finish. There is just something inspiring about watching people accomplish what they once thought they couldn't.

On a completely different note, I said I would give my Recovery Socks a second chance. And I did. After the Princess Half on Sunday. Here I am waiting for the Dumbo ride at the Magic Kingdom (note the socks).

I figured it would be the perfect opportunity to see how well they work after a hard effort followed by hours more on my feet. And can I just tell you that I am now a true believer? Sure my legs were still tired (who's wouldn't be?), but when I woke up the next morning ... I felt nothing. My lower legs were 100% (my quads were still achy though). So, after much thought, here is MY professional opinion on Recovery Socks:

Get a pair if you are consistently running over 10 miles on your long runs. And wear them strictly for recovery, not during your run (I saw no benefit in that, well maybe if you are a 2:30 marathoner ...) Otherwise, save your money. These things are not cheap ...

14 comments:

Katie A. said...

Recovery socks are the best - glad to hear you gave them another shot! Feel better!

Anonymous said...

i might have to finally suck it up and invest. my calves are always wat gets the most sore. and omgsh if you came to pull me through my first sub 2 attempt...my life would be complete. well except that whole marriage, kids, getting a job thing. its a pretty small race though, nothing too exciting but it is all run through woods/next to a river (all with well created paths of course)

Unknown said...

That's funny that you said not to wear them during a run. I've had two cruddy runs lately and I wore my recovery socks during one and my tights during the other and now I don't ever want to wear them again until AFTER the run or the next day. It's funny how superstitious I've become!!
I still think the investment in these socks and tights have been worth it.

kilax said...

Hope you feel better soon!

I should try some recovery socks. I've been feeling a bit sore lately. Do you recommend a certain brand?

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

I think I should have invested in a pair for after my race. I think they would have helped my feet. My hot spots are usually in the feet and thighs.

Teamarcia said...

I've never tried them, but probably should after all the achilles strife I've endured.
Feel better!

Marlene said...

Glad you gave the Recovery Socks another chance! I do wear mine on long runs occasionally and find that I recover much faster, especially with back to back long-ish runs, and things like that.

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

I am wearing mine now :) Love the picture...

Anonymous said...

Great pics! I wear my socks after my long runs and legs feel great the next day.

Sorry u aren't feeling well. Good for u for getting out there!!

Mike Russell said...

Good advice. I am going to pick some up. A buddy told me to go to a pharmacy instead because they have socks that REALLY compress for diabetics.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the advice. I've been thinking of getting a pair but they are hard to find here - unless I shop online.

Momma Twitch said...

Hummm...I might save up for some. :)Cute pictures!

MCM Mama said...

See, my problem is my quads after long runs. I so need thigh high recovery socks...

Unknown said...

So excited to hear you are running the cherry blossom 10-miler! We should try and hook up; I will be easy to spot--fat girl bringing up the rear!