Friday, May 9, 2008

a long afternoon ...

I'm not quite sure if it's just me or if every other stay-at-home mom feels the same way, but for some reason Friday afternoons drag on and on. Perhaps this feeling is brought on by a full week of child rearing, without a relief squad (thanks to J's super long hours as of late) or maybe it's just the prospect that J WILL be home ALL weekend and I will somehow manage to get some me time in there. Actually, it might just be that Dizzle's sick, the weather has been crappy and I feel trapped, literally trapped inside of my house.

While we managed to make it out this morning for Stroller Strides (do you really think I would miss cupcakes?), it was probably not the best idea. Dizzle actually asked to go home and has been dragging ever since. Damn cupcakes! Why do you have to be so yummy?

OK, enough about the cupcakes (even though they were great - check out www.kalicokitchen.com). Back on point. This afternoon has passed so incredibly slowly that I'm pretty sure that the seconds hand on my watch moved backwards. Maybe that didn't really happen. It could have just been a hallucination from the sugar high. But either way, you get my point.

Now I am left with two hours until bedtime, a runny-nosed (and whiny) preschooler, a really loud toddler and nothing to do. I know you're thinking, "There are lots of things to do. Be creative. Put that Ivy League degree to good use." But I swear, I've tried. It's just not working today. I feel like I'm 10 again and I've just told my mom that I'm bored and she says, "How can you be bored? There is plenty to do. Why don't you go outside and play?" And of course I would reply, "Because I don't want to."

Seriously, it's so easy to get trapped in your self-inflicted boredom.

No comments: