Thursday, May 1, 2008

oh brother ...

Last night after dinner, Dizzle, Doodle and I were in the kitchen opening the mail, which included an invitation to a cousin's baby shower. Instantly, Dizzle, the curious creature that she is, asked what the invitation was for and why her (J's cousin) belly was so big (picture included - Dizzle's not psychic). So I told her that she was going to have a baby and there was going to be a party. Of course, she wanted to know more - including the baby's name. Not having an answer for her, I asked what she thought his name should be. And what did she say? "Guam." I said, "Really? Guam?" To which she replied, "Yes, Guam."

She followed her response by telling me that she too wanted a baby brother. And when I asked her what she would name him, guess what she said. No, not Philippines. She said she wanted to name him, Boy Baby. Seriously, could she get more generic? A totally interesting name for her cousin, but the best that she could come up with for her own hypothetical brother was Boy Baby. Could you imagine that? Boy Baby Blanchet. It's like she read it off of the card they stick on the baby beds at the hospital.

Dizzle's obsession with her fake brother did not stop there. When J came home from work 20 minutes later the first thing she said to him was, "Daddy, you and Mommy are going to get me a baby brother. He be called Boy Baby." (Just a side note: J thinks I implanted this whole sibling idea in Dizzle's head. Just for the record, I didn't.)

J laughed and quickly regained composure telling Dizzle that we would see, which is usually enough to get her to drop whatever she's talking about. Ahh, but in this instance that was so not the case.

When she woke up this morning, J asked her what she was going to do today, but instead of laying out her day for him, she answered, "You and Mommy are going to get my baby brother this morning." Can you say "pressure"?

No comments: